RSVP is required and space is limited. Register here today!
Garvey Schubert Barer invites you to “Moving Forward Under Measure 91” a free public event, Friday, April 10, 2015 at the World Trade Center Portland. The half-day event (8:15 a.m.–1:00 p.m.) will address the business, legal and practical implications of Measure 91 for anyone looking to do business in the marijuana industry.
Representatives from the Oregon Liquor Control Commission, Association of Oregon Counties and League of Oregon Cities, will speak about the important role city and county government plays in shaping and regulating the Oregon marijuana industry. In addition, Garvey Schubert Barer attorneys experienced in representing licensed marijuana growers, processors and retailers in Washington state will discuss general business planning needs unique to the emerging recreational marijuana industry.
Licensed marijuana and marijuana-related businesses in the U.S. face extraordinary legal challenges. Not only are these businesses burdened with challenges inherent in any new industry, but also must deal with complex and evolving state and local regulations, as well as uncertainty resulting from federal law.
Featured speakers and topics include:
- Tom Burns, Director of Marijuana Programs, Oregon Liquor Control Commission, discussing OLCC’s anticipated and developing rules and regulations;
- Sean O’Day, General Counsel, League of Oregon Cities, discussing cities’ perspectives and zoning issues;
- Rob Bovett, Legal Counsel, Association of Oregon Counties, discussing counties’ perspectives and zoning issues;
- William Kabeiseman, Garvey Schubert Barer, Discussing local perspectives and zoning issues;
- Andy Aley, Garvey Schubert Barer, Discussing financing and operating a regulated marijuana business;
- Claire Hawkins, Garvey Schubert Barer, Discussing intellectual property, trademarks and trade secrets;
- Jared Van Kirk, Garvey Schubert Barer, Discussing labor and employment practices;
- Hal Snow, Garvey Schubert Barer, Discussing asset protection planning.
Garvey Schubert Barer’s Cannabis Industry Group is part of its Regulated Industries Practice which serves businesses across a broad range of industries, including alcohol, radio and television broadcasting, government contracting, healthcare, and maritime. The Cannabis Industry Group is comprised of attorneys experienced in finance, tax, real estate, intellectual property, employment, commercial litigation and criminal defense. This breadth of legal experience provides state-licensed marijuana businesses, and businesses serving the licensed marijuana industry, full-service representation.
The event is open to the public but space is limited. To reserve a spot please register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/moving-forward-under-measure-91-a-marijuana-industry-seminar-tickets-15731864430.
Since its founding in 1966, Garvey Schubert Barer has counseled clients across a broad range of industry sectors. Our attorneys have deep bench experience and significant expertise in both complex legal and business matters. We value innovation and entrepreneurship, and closely monitor industry trends. It is with these values in mind that our firm established the cannabis industry group. Read More ›