Andy Aley’s practice focuses on advising both established and emerging companies on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, entity structuring and general corporate matters.
Andy has represented buyers and sellers in acquisition transactions across a range of industries, including fisheries and maritime transportation. He has also worked on cross-border transactions involving U.S. and Canadian entities. Andy has worked with clients to access capital needed to grow and expand their business, including representing businesses in connection with private equity and debt financing transactions.
His commercial agreement experience includes structuring vessel construction and repair contracts as well as advising on complex regulatory topics and other general corporate legal concerns.
Andy is also co-chair of the firm’s cannabis industry group, and advises both licensed growers, processors and retailers of recreational marijuana within the State of Washington and individuals and entities seeking to do business with licensees on matters including entity formation and structuring, equity and debt investment and other business relationships. Andy helps clients structure their business organization, transactions and relationships in order to maintain compliance with Washington’s complex regulatory framework governing recreational marijuana businesses.
Prior to joining Garvey Schubert Barer, Andy was a law clerk to Judge Alfred T. Goodwin of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, where he assisted in the disposition of both federal appellate and district court matters.
Andy has been named by peers as one of Washington's "Rising Stars" in Super Lawyers Magazine, 2013-2017.
Ongoing representation of Westward Partners, LLC in various acquisition, divestiture and corporate matters.
Assisted in the equity sale by seller stakeholders of Revenue Management Solutions (RMS) to a foreign investor group. RMS leverages premier consulting services and patented methodology in the use of statistics and quantitative modelling for the airline industry.
GSB represented the sellers of Evolution Hospitality in its sale to Aimbridge Hospitality. Aimbridge is the nation’s second largest independent hotel investment and management firm. GSB advised the sellers in all aspects of the transaction, including structure, documentation, buyer due diligence (purchase price included an equity component in buyer), and broad seller due diligence.
GSB represented Incident Catering Services in its leveraged buyout of GFP Enterprises and related entities. GFP is a nationally recognized leader in emergency response services, ranging from wild land firefighting and base camp support services to full incident management teams. The company has over 400 employees. GSB advised the buyer in all aspects of the acquisition and related debt and equity financing, including transaction structure and related tax implications, documentation for the acquisition and debt and equity financings, and due diligence.
GSB attorneys Brent Jones and Andy Aley represented Physicians Anesthesia Service (PAS), the largest group of anesthesiologists serving the Seattle area, in creating a newly formed partnership with U.S. Anesthesia Partners (USAP).
- Represented private equity buyer in connection with the leveraged buyout of a heavy equipment owner/operator in the States of Washington and Oregon
Represented private equity buyer in connection with the leveraged buyout of a heavy equipment owner/operator in the States of Washington and Oregon. GSB handled both the equity acquisition from the former owners as well as the simultaneous senior secured credit facility used to fund the acquisition.
Represented multiple licensed marijuana producers, processors and retailers in private equity and debt financing transactions.
Represented licensed marijuana processor in the structuring of affiliate equipment leasing and IP licensing arrangements, convertible debt financing and in-bound IP licensing transactions.
- Assisted transportation & logistics company in the acquisition of an international shipping and logistics business
Assisted nationwide transportation and logistics company in the acquisition of an international shipping and logistics business operating in multiple jurisdictions through multiple operating entities.
Assisted private equity buyer in connection with the leveraged buyout of a heavy equipment owner and operator in the States of Washington and Oregon.
- Assisted Private Equity Buyer in connection with the leveraged buyout of an emergency response and catering services company
Assisted private equity buyer in connection with the leveraged buyout of an emergency response and catering services company. GSB handled both the equity acquisition and the simultaneous equity financing and secured credit facilities used to fund the acquisition.
Assisted nationwide transportation and logistics company in connection with the simultaneous refinancing of its syndicated secured bank credit facility and the private placement of senior secured notes to institutional investors.
- Cannabis Business Blog, 5.17.17
- Cannabis Business Blog, 5.1.17
- Cannabis Business Blog, 2.24.17
- Cannabis Business Blog, 2.24.17
- Cannabis Business Blog, 10.28.16
- Cannabis Business Blog, 9.28.16
- DEA Rejects Petitions to Reclassify Marijuana, but Opens the Door to Expanded Marijuana Research EffortsCannabis Business Blog, 8.11.16
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 1.14.16
- Cannabis Business Blog, 4.16.15
News & Insights
- GSB Newsroom, 7.11.17
- GSB Represents Physicians Anesthesia Service in Its Newly Formed Partnership With U.S. Anesthesia PartnersGSB Newsroom, 2.9.17
- Pacific Maritime Magazine, August, 2016
- GSB Press Release, 7.11.16
- GSB Press Release, 2.1.16
- GSB Press Release, 9.17.15
- GSB Press Release, 9.13.13
- GSB Press Release, 2.11.11
- Speaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 7.27.17
- Cannabis Business SeminarPortland, OR, 5.18.17
- SeminarSeattle, WA, 4.12.16
- SeminarPortland, OR, 4.10.15
- State Tax Notes, 2.27.17
- Garvey Schubert Barer, 1.14.16
- Benedict’s Maritime Bulletin, 11.19.13
- Washington, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit, 2011
University of Washington School of Law, J.D., with honors, 2008
- Order of the Coif
- Managing Editor, Washington Law Review
Western Washington University, B.A., Environmental Journalism, cum laude, 2004
Honors | Recognitions
- Named by peers as one of Washington's "Rising Stars" in Super Lawyers Magazine, 2013-2017