Brad provides his clients with the strategic, practical and timely guidance necessary to navigate compliance in complex and evolving regulated environments. In particular, Brad’s practice is focused on three areas – Political Law, Communications Law and the emerging Cannabis industry.
Political Law – Provides strategic advice to candidates, political committees, corporations and trade associations in all areas of Federal and State Political and Election Law. Brad served as General Counsel to Bernie 2016, the presidential campaign of Senator Bernie Sanders and Brad currently serves as General Counsel to the social welfare organization Our Revolution. Prior to joining GSB, Brad served for eight years as Chief of Staff and Senior Legal Advisor to Commissioner Steven T. Walther at the Federal Election Commission, where he had previously served as Assistant General Counsel. During his tenure at the FEC, Brad advised Commissioner Walther, (who served as FEC Chairman in 2009 and as Vice Chairman in 2008), on all aspects of Campaign Finance Law and Administrative Law.
Communications Law – Counsels and represents radio and television stations. He assists clients with broadcast station transactions and regulatory compliance before the Federal Communications Commission, where he previously served as Special Assistant to the Chief of the Mass Media Bureau and as a Supervisory Attorney. Additionally, Brad has extensive experience assisting broadcast clients with complex transactions, licensing applications and rulemaking proceedings, derived from his prior work experience in private practice with the law firm Hogan & Hartson LLP (now renamed Hogan Lovells US LLP).
Cannabis – Member of GSB’s Cannabis Industry Group, whose experienced attorneys work across multiple disciplines to address emergent legal needs in this nascent, highly regulated industry. Brad counsels businesses, investors and government entities on the interplay between competing legal frameworks, and in particular the tension between strict state and local regulations and the enforcement of conflicting Federal laws. Brad works with his colleagues in GSB’s Seattle office to provide advice from a national perspective in this swiftly evolving field. Brad’s breadth of experience in Political Law allows him to bring wide-ranging expertise to political and lobbying issues facing the emerging recreational cannabis industry. Similarly, Brad’s expertise in Communications Law allows him to provide clients with unique insights on advertising to consumers in this developing field.
Member, Federal Communications Bar Association, 1993-present
- President, Palisades Swimming Pool Association, Cabin John, MD.
- President, Richard Montgomery High School Magnet Foundation, Inc.
- Vice President and Legal Counsel, Global Garden Public Charter School, Inc.
- Cannabis Business Blog, 2.25.15
- Cannabis Business Blog, 1.26.15
- Cannabis Business Blog, 1.5.15
- Cannabis Business Blog, 12.18.14
- Cannabis Business Blog, 12.16.14
- Congress Poised to Use Federal Purse Strings to Put the Brakes on Legalization of Recreational Marijuana in DCCannabis Business Blog, 12.11.14
News & Insights
- Radio on Main Street Podcast Featuring Brad Deutsch and Erwin Krasnow, Creators of RAB’s Political Advertising HandbookRadio Impact Reports - A blog from RAB, 10.4.17
- Inside Radio, 9.7.17
- GSB Publishes Updated, Free Handbook for Radio Industry Executives on Managing Political AdvertisingGSB Newsroom, 9.6.17
- Law360 (subscription required), 4.20.17
- RadioWorld, 4.19.17
- Broadcasting & Cable, 4.19.17
- The Washington Post, 11.4.16
- The American Lawyer (subscription required), 4.19.16
- Tom Taylor NOW, 11.5.15
- Radio and Television Business Report, 9.3.14
- GSB Press Release, 7.30.14
- "Election Year Special: Underwriting with Candidates, Campaigns, and PACs," NFCB Political Broadcasting WebinarSeminarWebcast, 9.13.16
- "Get Ready for the 2016 Political Advertising Season," National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) WebcastSpeaking EngagementWebcast, June 30, 2016
- "Get Ready for the 2016 Political Advertising Season," National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) WebcastSpeaking Engagement6.30.16
- “Election 2016 – A Whole New Playbook for Political Advertising,” National Association of Broadcasters - 2016 NAB ShowSpeaking EngagementLas Vegas, NV, 4.19.16
- "Hot First Amendment Topics: Campaign Finance and the 2016 Election," ABA Section of Civil Rights and Social JusticeSpeaking EngagementWashington, D.C., 2.17.16
- Speaking EngagementWashington, D.C., 5.26.15
- RadioWorld, 5.11.17
- Garvey Schubert Barer and TVNewsCheck Release Free Political Advertising Handbook for Television IndustryGarvey Schubert Barer, 2.16.16
- Radio Advertising Bureau, 9.1.15
- District of Columbia, 2000
- Maryland, 1996
- New York, 1995
Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 1994
- Thomas F. Reddy Prize in Intellectual Property Law
- Archibald R. Murray Public Service Award
Brown University, AB, American Civilization, 1987