Claire Hawkins has practiced intellectual property law since 2001. She helps businesses and artists build, manage, and leverage their intellectual property assets. Specifically, Claire provides a full range of counseling, prosecution, portfolio management, enforcement and dispute resolution services for trademark, copyright, domain name, publishing, licensing and agreement matters. Her practice has developed particular expertise in resolving trademark and domain name disputes and crafting cooperative agreements to protect, expand and strengthen intellectual property rights.
Claire provides pro bono intellectual property and other legal services to local non-profit organizations such as the Seattle Symphony, and Shunpike--a Seattle organization dedicated to promoting local art by providing assistance to local artists. She was also on the board of the King County Washington Women Lawyers for several years, and president of that organization in 2005.
- Board Member, Washington Women Lawyers, 2014
- Board Member, J. Reuben Clark Law Society, 2012
- President, King County Chapter of Washington Women's Lawyers, 2005
- Board Member, The Shunpike Arts Collective, 2003-2009
- Member, Washington State Bar Association
- Member, King County Bar Association
Successfully navigated close trademark registration issues, including likelihood of confusion, merely descriptive, and primarily merely a surname initial rejections from the US Trademark Office for a variety of clients.
Successfully negotiated a trademark co-existence agreement between two Washington State Indian tribes.
Successfully resolved by settlement agreement disputes regarding ownership of product design rights and royalties for furniture designer.
Successfully resolved cease and desist demands against airport parking client for trademark issues.
Counseled client regarding patent rights ownership and license rights for evaluation software and tool for environmental building evaluations.
Obtained worldwide festival license for right to use musical recording in an independent movie.
Strategized with education client to build up family of trademarks and strengthen brand and trademark rights.
Successfully dismissed or resolved trademark infringement claims and patent infringement claims against apparel industry client.
- Sports & Entertainment Beat, 7.24.15
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 3.24.15
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 1.14.15
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 11.20.14
- Sports & Entertainment Beat, 6.23.14
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 6.6.14
- New Court Ruling Suggests Actors Hold A Copyright Interest In Their Performances: Some Practical Tips for Performance Agreements and Appearance ReleasesSports & Entertainment Beat, 3.18.14
News & Insights
- GSB Newsroom, 5.3.18
- Garvey Schubert Barer Ranked Among Leading U.S. Firms in Chambers USA 2017 Guide; Four Practices and 12 Lawyers FeaturedGSB Newsroom, 5.26.17
- GSB Press Release, 7.27.16
- Chambers USA, 5.27.16
- GSB Press Release, 5.20.15
- GSB Press Release, 4.3.15
- GSB Release, 5.27.14
- GSB Press Release, 9.13.13
- EventSeattle, WA, 2.7.17
- SeminarPortland, OR, 4.10.15
- "You Can’t Say That!—Examining the Ethics of Attorney Communications," Washington Women Lawyers Annual CLESpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 10.11.13
- Speaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 8.1.13
- New Rules Regarding Designation of Copyright Agent1.17
- Time to Contemplate Trademark Registration in Cuba?3.15
- So What's in a Name? Understanding, Identifying, Protecting and Using Trademarks: The Basics for HoteliersHSMAI, 9.12.14
- Sports & Entertainment Beat, 6.23.14
- Garvey Schubert Barer, 4.25.14
- January 2003
- Washington, 2001
- U. S. District Court, Western District of Washington, 2002
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington, 2002
- Oregon, 2015
- Alaska, 2016
Brigham Young University, B.A., English, 1996
Brigham Young University - J. Reuben Clark Law School, J.D., Law Review, Law Review Board: Web Editor, 2001
Honors | Recognitions
- Listed in Chambers USA as a Recognized Practitioner for Intellectual Property (Washington), 2016-2018
- Named by peers as one of Washington's "Rising Stars" in Super Lawyers Magazine, 2006-2009 and 2012-2014
- Named by peers as a Super Lawyer inWashington Women's Edition, 2013-2014
- Recipient of the 2005 Butch Blum Award of Excellence