Dan focuses on helping lawyers, accountants and other professionals mitigate risks and resolve complex disputes, often involving securities and business-related litigation.
Dan's practice includes complex business litigation, securities litigation, professional malpractice, class action litigation, appeals and alternative dispute resolution. He has experience negotiating and implementing complicated settlement transactions involving numerous claims and parties. He also counsels professional and institutional clients on risk management issues. Dan is an avid bicycle commuter who spends his off-duty time hiking the Columbia River Gorge.
- Oregon State Bar
Member, Legal Ethics Committee, Secretary-2016
Uniform Civil Jury Instructions Committee, 1999-2001; Chair-2001
Member, Bar Press & Broadcasters' Council, 2006-2008
- Multnomah Bar Association
Nonprofit Pro Brono Project Volunteer
Speaker: Young Litigators' Forum/Jury Instructions-2013
- Oregon Law Institute of Lewis & Clark School of Law
Speaker and Program Planner: New Trends in Oregon Discovery/Mandamus Review-2013
- City Club of Portland
Bicycle Transportation Research Committee, Chair 2012-2013
Bicycle Transportation Advocacy Committee, 2013-2014
Liquor Privatization Research Committee, 2013-2014
- Sunnyside Environmental School PTSA
Board Member, 2008-2014
Board Secretary, 2012-2013
Drafted settlement agreements and implemented of complex securities class action settlement on behalf of regional law firm.
Successfully petitioned for mandamus review in Oregon Supreme Court on issue of first impression in Oregon concerning attorney-client privilege accorded to in-house counsel.
Drafted agreements and managed resolution of complex class action settlement of companion litigation on behalf of national law firms.
In product liability C-K fuel tank litigation, drafted briefs in favor of plaintiff that successfully opposed manufacturer's motions to dismiss and summary judgment.
Drafted and argued successful motion to dismiss securities lawsuit in Oregon Circuit Court on behalf of North Carolina law firm.
In telecommunication securities litigation, drafted and argued successful motion to dismiss claims against a group of defendants.
In securities litigation, conducted depositions and drafted briefs in support of successful summary judgment motion in favor of defendant law firm before the trial court and in successful appeal.
In healthcare antitrust litigation, drafted summary judgment motion on behalf of a physician group that helped persuade plaintiffs to voluntarily dismiss the physician group from the lawsuit. Then prepared claim against the physician group's insurer that resulted in reimbursement of nearly all litigation defense costs.
News & Insights
- Portland Business Journal (subscription required), 2.10.17
- GSB Deepens Litigation Team in Portland with Addition of Name Partner and Team from Kennedy Watts ArellanoGSB Newsroom, 1.3.17
- Oregon State Bar Professional Liability Fund – 2017 Defense Panel ConferenceEventSunriver, OR, 8.25.17
- Speaking EngagementTigard, OR, 9.13.17
- "Securities Liability for Transactional Lawyers Under Oregon’s Draconian Blue Sky Law," Oregon State Bar Securities Law Section EventSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 11.15.17
- "Oregon's Blue Sky Securities Law—Better Safe than Sorry," Oregon State Bar 2017 RELU Summer ConferenceSpeaking EngagementBend, OR, 8.18.17
- "What You May Not Know About the Application of the Attorney-Client Privilege, Work Product Doctrine and Joint Defense Doctrine in Oregon," Oregon State Bar 2017 RELU Spring ForumSpeaking EngagementTigard, OR, 4.28.17
- Oregon, 1992
- Washington, 2000
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 1996
Gonzaga University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1992
Williamette University, College of Liberal Arts, B.A., 1989
Honors | Recognitions
- Martindale Peer Review Rating: AV (highest rating)