Donald Scaramastra has successfully represented clients in litigation concerning environmental cleanup cost recovery and insurance coverage, antitrust and competition issues, and in other constitutional and complex litigation. He appears on behalf of clients before federal and state trial and appellate courts.
Don is a certified White Belt in Legal Lean Sigma and Project Management and is a member of the firm’s Litigation Pricing Task Force.
- Chair, Board of Trustees, King County Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, 2003-2004; Trustee, 2001-2004
- Member, Board of Trustees, King County Bar Foundation, 2008-present
- President, Board of Directors, Children's Alliance, 2004-2007; Board Member, 2002-2012
Successful prosecution of multimillion-dollar claims for environmental insurance coverage after obtaining favorable Supreme Court ruling on coverage issues. 136 Wn.2d 567, 964 P.2d 1173 (1998).
Obtained injunction against federal agency’s effort to impose civil penalty on conscientious objector for exporting medicine and medical supplies to Iraq; affirmed on appeal. 466 F.3d 764 (9th Cir. 2006).
Recovery of years of hazard pay for 74 shipwrights. Opinion after trial on affirmative defenses at 75 Fed. Cl. 218 (2007).
Successful prosecution of insurance coverage claims for professional liability claims against engineering company; personal counsel to engineering company in defense of professional liability claims.
Pursuit of insurance coverage for claims for natural resource damages under federal and Washington law.
Successful prosecution of multimillion-dollar claims for insurance coverage of environmental cleanup costs at federal and state Superfund sites.
Successful defense of challenge to durable power of attorney on appeal and in ancillary proceedings. 138 Wash.App. 1062, 2007 WL 1589457 (Jun. 4, 2007).
Successful defense of challenge to durable power of attorney at trial and on appeal. 114 Cal. App. 4th 635; 7 Cal. Rptr. 3d 722 (2003).
Defense or handling of actual or potential cost recovery claims against petroleum distribution company involving allegations under Alaska, or federal law concerning the cleanup of hazardous substances.
Successful resolution of claims and counterclaims relating to construction site defect claims.
Defense and successful resolution of putative class action claims for wages and benefits against insurance company.
Successful prosecution of claims for insurance coverage of environmental cleanup at federal Superfund site.
Co-counsel for plaintiffs in successful class action challenging constitutionality of state foster care system. 150 Wn. 2d 689; 81 P.3d 851 (2003).
Successful class action challenge to constitutionality of felony public defense system.
Successful suit to resolve deadlock between two equal shareholders by compelling sale of shares to client. 1.5-week trial; affirmed on appeal. 2005 Wash. App. LEXIS 2066 (Aug. 15, 2005).
Co-counsel in defense of price fixing claims in the Bristol Bay sockeye salmon industry.
Successful prosecution of claims for environmental cleanup against multiple defendants. Obtained contribution toward cleanup costs and attorney fee award against all but one defendant after six-week trial; affirmed on appeal. 135 Wn. App. 106 (2006).
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 10.6.16
- Update on the Online Travel Company/Hotel Booking Antitrust Litigation: Plaintiffs Add New DefendantsDuff on Hospitality Law, 5.22.13
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 1.23.13
News & Insights
- GSB Press Release, 7.11.16
- GSB Press Release, 9.17.15
- GSB Press Release, 9.13.13
- GSB Press Release, 6.27.12
- GSB Press Release, 6.20.11
- GSB Press Release, 6.9.10
- Garvey Schubert Barer, 10.6.16
- Perhaps Only Antitrust Lawyer's Think ACO's Are Hot - But Antitrust Enforcement Agencies Are Moving Forward11.2.11
- Washington, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 1993
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, 1992
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington, 1997
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2004
- United States Supreme Court, 2007
University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, J.D., 1991
- Notes and Comments Editor, California Law Review
- Member, Moot Court Board
University of California Irvine, B.A., Political Science, magna cum laude, 1988
Honors | Recognitions
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent® 5.0 Peer Review Rated Lawyer
- Listed in Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers for Commercial Litigation, 2010
- Named a "Top Lawyer" for Environmental Law in Seattle Met magazine, 2010
- Named by peers as a "Super Lawyer" in Super Lawyers Magazine, 2009-2016
- Named by peers as a "Super Lawyer" in Super Lawyers Business Edition, 2014-2015
- Named by peers as one of Washington's "Rising Stars" in Washington Law & Politics magazine, 2001-2003 and 2006-2007
- Selected as one of Puget Sound Business Journal's "Forty Under 40" for professional accomplishments and community involvement, 2005
- Garvey Schubert Barer's Dallaire Public Service Award, 2004
- 2006 Civil Libertarian Award, ACLU of Washington
- 2007 Champion for Children Award, Children's Alliance