Leo Peng is the current chief representative and managing director of Garvey Schubert Barer's Beijing office. He has wide-ranging experiences representing both foreign investors in China and Chinese enterprises investing abroad. Leo speaks fluent Mandarin Chinese and more importantly understands the values of Chinese and Western cultures and systems. He has developed cross-cultural sensitivities and an intelligent understanding of the environments and the forces our clients face in their business ventures.
Leo has represented companies and individuals with respect to regulatory compliance and commercial activities in China. He has advised clients on both contentious and non-contentious employment matters in China, including employee rules and policies, termination, non-compete, employment arrangement for foreign employees and social security issues.
Leo's practice also focuses on comprehensive U.S. immigration planning for multinational companies and their employees, as well as for individual clients. He has more than a decade of experience in immigration law, particularly in obtaining U.S. citizenship, permanent resident status, inadmissibility waivers, and nonimmigrant visas for clients from around the world. He has consulted on mergers and acquisitions, established corporate immigration policies, and developed recruitment plans for client companies.
Prior to joining Garvey Schubert Barer, Leo worked as a general practitioner for five years in Seattle. He represented domestic and overseas clients in matters related to business formation, taxation, licensing, immigration, and intellectual property protection.
- Treasurer, AILA Bangkok District (APAC) Chapter, 2013-2014, Interim Treasurer, 2012-2013
- Member, The American Chamber of Commerce, PRC
- Member, Washington State Bar Association
- Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Member, Beijing International Christian Fellowship (BICF), 2007-Present
- Director, Christ L.O.V.E., 1998-2002
- Board Chair, Bread of Life Christian Church, 1998-1999
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 10.21.16
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 1.13.16
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 11.20.15
News & Insights
- Going the Distance: GSB Advises Transportation Intermediaries Association in Major Logistics Deal with China’s Ministry of TransportGSB Press Release, 11.4.16
- GSB Successfully Leads Bosai Minerals Group Co. and CMP Tianjin Co. to Victory in Antitrust Litigation SuitLaw360, 1.28.16
- GSB Press Release, 11.3.14
- Captain Qian and Attorney Stanley Barer Named as the Honorary Chairmen of a Newly Created Sino-American Logistics CouncilGSB Press Release, 11.7.13
- Preview of Chinese President Xi Jinping’s Economic Reform Plan — U.S. and Chinese Business Leaders Address the Needs of Largest Migration in Human HistoryGSB Press Release, 11.7.13
- Seattle Times, 5.19.13
- Leo C. Peng Named Chief Representative and Managing Director of Garvey Schubert Barer's Beijing officeGSB Press Release, 4.20.08
- "Cultural Considerations of Conducting Business in Asian Regions," Panelist, GlobalawSpeaking EngagementTokyo, Japan, 4.24.15
- "Legal Issues Regarding U.S. Investment Immigration (EB-5)," U.S.-China Business SeminarSeminarGarvey Schubert Barer, Beijing, PRC, 1.21.10
- "Immigration and Visa Issues for Chinese Companies Doing Business in the U.S.," U.S.-China Business SeminarSeminarGarvey Schubert Barer, Beijing, PRC, 11.26.09
- How to Effectively Navigate the U.S. Immigration System for Chinese Citizens / Visa Categories to ChinaSeminarGarvey Schubert Barer, Seattle, WA, 10.18.07
- Garvey Schubert Barer News Alert, 11.3.14