Paul Hoff advises foreign governments, as well as foreign and domestic companies, on U.S. trade laws, export control laws, fisheries laws, and antitrust law. He also provides advice to U.S. companies on legislative and regulatory matters involving Congress and federal government agencies. In addition to his over 40 years of law firm experience, Paul served as Associate General Counsel of the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee, and as Chairman of the Board of the non-partisan Center for Responsive Politics, which tracks and analyses the role of money in federal elections and politics.
Advises companies seeking to obtain necessary regulatory rulings from Departments of State, Commerce, and Treasury for the export of goods and technology to foreign countries, such as Treasury Department restrictions on exports to Iran, and Commerce Department restrictions on exports of specific goods and technology to a variety of countries.
Advises domestic and foreign clients on U.S. trade policies in agriculture, energy, and other sectors, and on the nature of foreign environmental laws affecting the relative competitiveness of U.S. goods.
U.S. Fisheries Laws and Law of the Sea
Advises foreign governments and fisheries associations on U.S. fishing laws and related environmental laws, as well as how the Law of the Sea agreement (UNCLOS), international fisheries agreements, and foreign laws regulate fishing and related activities on the high seas.
Civil Antitrust Law
Represents companies in civil antitrust cases in the United States, and advises clients on the application of U.S. antitrust laws to transportation and other industries.
Criminal Antitrust Litigation
Represents companies or individual employees in criminal antitrust investigations initiated by the Department of Justice or by foreign government competition authorities.
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Center for Responsive Politics, 1999-2009 (campaign finance)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, American University School of International Service, 1995 (trade law)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Georgetown University, 1979-1981 (constitutional law)
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 10.6.16
News & Insights
- GSB Successfully Leads Bosai Minerals Group Co. and CMP Tianjin Co. to Victory in Antitrust Litigation SuitLaw360, 1.28.16
- GSB Press Release, 11.3.14
- "Foreign Entities Seeking Representation - How to Make Sure You're Never on 60 Minutes," Garvey Schubert Barer Internal CLESpeaking EngagementWashington, D.C., 3.31.16
- "International Traffic in Arms Regulation Workshop," Pacific Northwest Defense CoalitionSpeaking EngagementGarvey Schubert Barer, Portland, OR, 8.13.08
- Garvey Schubert Barer, 10.6.16
- Garvey Schubert Barer News Alert, 11.3.14
- Federal District Court and U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, 1968
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit, 2016
Yale Law School, LL.B., 1967
- Member, Yale Law Journal
Harvard College, B.A., cum laude, 1964