Ruth Walters focuses on hospitality operations and general intellectual property and technology transactions. She advises clients on matters such as online hospitality inventory distribution agreements, in-licensing of video-on-demand technology, music and software licensing, application service provider agreements and general branding, copyright and advertising review and advice. She has represented international hotel companies in global co-branding and marketing agreements, in addition to advising clients on data privacy legal compliance, website privacy policies and terms of service. Ruth provides trademark advice, from initial clearance through policing and post-registration maintenance, including those trademark issues arising exclusively in regard to the Internet.
- Online inventory distribution agreements with major European online travel agents, such as GTA and Booking.com.
- Completed central reservation system (CRS) platform, support and technology consultation agreement.
- Co-branded VISA card agreements (U.S.) with card brand and bank issuer.
- Multiple international loyalty program and co-marketing agreements for hotel clients (e.g., MasterCard Europe, Visa/Kiwi, Jet Airways, Qatar Airlines, Air Singapore).
- Member, Meeting Professionals International
- Member, Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International
Online inventory distribution agreements with major European online travel agents, such as GTA and Booking.com.
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 3.7.17
- Reading the Fine Print: Changes in Legal Framework for the Assessment and Display of Service ChargesDuff on Hospitality Law, 10.19.16
- Sports & Entertainment Beat, 7.29.15
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 1.22.15
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 11.10.14
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 9.13.13
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 4.19.13
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 4.16.13
- Visa, MasterCard Propose 6+ Billion Dollar Settlement in Merchant Class Action Litigation Over Interchange FeesDuff on Hospitality Law, 3.20.13
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 10.31.12
- Rate Parity as Price Fixing: UK’s Office of Fair Trading Statement Suggests Trouble Ahead for Industry Standard Online Travel Agent Contract ProvisionsDuff on Hospitality Law, 8.3.12
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 1.23.12
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 9.25.11
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 8.24.11
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 7.11.11
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 5.20.11
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 3.17.11
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 2.11.11
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 1.14.11
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 12.3.10
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 11.19.10
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 9.14.10
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 7.20.10
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 5.28.10
News & Insights
- Garvey Schubert Barer Launches Hospitality, Travel and Tourism Practice With Addition of Five AttorneysGSB Press Release, 11.1.11
- Revenue Optimization ConferenceSpeaking EngagementNew Orleans, LA, June 22, 2016
- "Rate Parity Update", HSMAI ROC ConferenceSpeaking EngagementNew Orleans, LA, 6.22.16
- "Contracting in the Hospitality Business", MPI Cascadia Educational ConferenceSpeaking EngagementSunriver Resort, OR, 3.13.16
- Speaking EngagementHouston, TX, 2.10.14
- Best Western Owners’ Fall Marketing MeetingSpeaking EngagementSilverdale, WA, 9.17.13
- Speaking EngagementHouston, TX, 2.12.13
- "Contracting in the 21st Century: The Rising Significance of Guest Information and Intellectual Property," HFTP’s Annual Convention & Trade ShowSpeaking EngagementOrlando, FL, 10.18.12
- HOTEL Yearbook 2017, 3.7.17
- So What's in a Name? Understanding, Identifying, Protecting and Using Trademarks: The Basics for HoteliersHSMAI, 9.12.14
- Hospitality Upgrade, 3.1.13
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2000
Indiana University, B.S., with distinction, 1996
Honors | Recognitions
- Named by peers a “Rising Star” in Washington Law & Politics magazine