Yao Bailey focuses her real estate practice on commercial leasing, commercial and residential acquisitions and construction contracts. Her clients include owners, architects and contractors, as well as cooperative and condominium boards. Bailey also advises clients on state architecture licensing, the establishment and operation of various types of corporate entities and their organizational documents and certain related employment and immigration matters.
A native speaker of Mandarin, Bailey was previously a practicing lawyer in China. Admitted to practice law in New York since 1999, she assists U.S. architectural firms in establishing their Chinese operations, negotiating design contracts with Chinese owners and registering trademarks in China. She also represents Chinese clients in the U.S. in connection with real estate purchases and commercial leasing.
Bailey earned her LL.M. in Asian and Comparative Law from the University of Washington School of Law, and she received her LL.B. in international economic law from Peking University School of Law in Beijing. She often presents seminars and workshops on real estate, construction and architectural law.
- New York City Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New York County Lawyers Association
- Represented a well-established architectural firm tenant
Represented a well-established architectural firm tenant in negotiating leases for more than 20,000 square feet of office space, while terminating existing lease in different building to ensure a smooth transition.
- Oversaw the sale and purchase of residential properties for a famous actor
- Represented a high net-worth Chinese individual
Represented a high net-worth Chinese individual in her purchase of a $10 million residential property on the North Shore of Long Island, New York.
- Represented a Hong Kong executive
Represented a Hong Kong executive in his purchase of a four-bedroom condominium in the new Apthorp development.
- Counsel to a renowned sculptor
Counsel to a renowned sculptor in connection with his $3 million purchase of commercial property in Brooklyn, New York, in an installment sale/purchase money financing (subsequently converted to a mortgage).
- Sale of a residential building with multiple rental leases
Handled the $5 million sale of a residential building with multiple rental leases in midtown Manhattan.
- Served as outside counsel for a famous architectural firm (including drafting and negotiating several multi-million dollar contracts in China)
News & Insights
- GSB Newsroom, 3.6.18