Jennifer M. BragarAssociate - Portland
Jennifer Bragar’s practice is focused on land use, municipal and environmental law. She represents business, community and government entities in matters unique to land use planning and municipal law. She has appeared before the Land Use Board of Appeals and is a frequent lecturer and author on Oregon land use law.
Jennifer has been involved with a number of significant cases in Oregon, including advocacy for a coalition of private property owners who challenged a Umatilla County ordinance that would have severely restricted land available for commercial wind facilities in 2011. The Oregon Land Use Board of Appeals upheld this challenge based on violations of the Constitution and administrative regulations. Further, Jennifer assists in the firm’s representation of several cities as special counsel and general counsel, including Oregon City, Island City, and the City of Rivergrove. Ms. Bragar is also involved in representing multiple clients on hazardous waste cleanup actions arising under federal and state Superfund laws. This work involves negotiations with federal and state regulators, cost recovery and contribution actions, the allocation of liability among private parties, and natural resource damage claims.
Before entering private practice, Ms. Bragar founded JB Associates (1999-2003), a land use and political consulting firm in the Monterey Bay area providing services to clients around the central coast of California. She has worked closely with government agencies, developers and community activists to achieve balanced development proposals that satisfy the requirements of all participants in the review process. She has managed campaigns for the district attorney, other elected officials, and a variety of local Santa Cruz ballot measures.
Her experience and background serves clients well, providing first-hand perspective and understanding of the implications of the land use decision-making process in the local political arena. She offers clients a practical approach to dealing with their land use issues.
- Member, Oregon Emerging Local Government Leaders Network, November 2012-present
- Member, American Bar Association, State and Local Government Section; Council Member, August 2013 – present; Member, 2010-present
- Member, Oregon Bar Association, 2009-present
Member, Executive Committee, the Real Estate and Land Use Section, 2011-present, Vice-Chair, 2015
- Member, Oregon Women Lawyers, 2009-present
- Member, Urban Land Institute, 2009-present
- President, Housing Land Advocates, 2012 – present; Board Member since 2009
- Board Member, Women of Wind Energy, 2013 – present; member since 2010
- Board Member, Oregon League of Conservation Voters, 2013 – present
- "Recent Developments in Comprehensive Planning (2014)," Urban Lawyer, Vol. 46, No. 3 Summer 2014.
- "Recent Developments in Comprehensive Planning (2013)," Urban Lawyer, Vol. 45, No. 3 Summer 2013.
- "Recent Developments in Comprehensive Planning (2012)," Urban Lawyer, Vol. 44, No. 3 Summer 2012.
- "Final Decision in Washington Land Use Matter Not Rendered Until Decision on Local Motion for Reconsideration Issues," RELU Digest, November 2011.
- "Measure 37 Claimants Seek Vested Rights Determinations," RELU Digest, April 2011.
- "No Changing the Goal Posts in New Jersey," RELU Digest, September 2010.
- "The Augean Stables: Measure 49 and the Herculean Task of Correcting an Improvident Initiative Measure in Oregon," 46 Willamette L. Rev. 577, 2010.
- "Local Aesthetic Regulations Can Trump the Federal Telecommunications Act," Oregon Real Estate and Land Use Digest, Volume 32, No. 2, April 2010.
- "Court of Appeals Determines Special Rights to Possession Enabled by Federal Land Grants to Railroads," Oregon Real Estate and Land Use Digest, Volume 31, No. 4, September 2009.