Theresa A. SimpsonOf Counsel - Seattle
Theresa Simpson represents businesses and individuals in the technology, sports and entertainment fields. She advises software and other technology companies, and athletes, authors, filmmakers, composers, publishers, independent labels, recording artists and others involved in the sports and entertainment industries with respect to licensing, publishing and other transactions involving intellectual property rights, as well as general business matters and media issues. Ms. Simpson handles trademark and copyright matters from prosecution to enforcement of rights and resolution of disputes, including domain name disputes. She also advises clients regarding privacy and data security matters.
Ms. Simpson’s pro bono activities include representation of arts organizations and nonprofits involved in domestic violence and other social issues, as well as individuals unable to afford legal services. Ms. Simpson has served as an adjunct lecturer in the Master of Communication in Digital Media program at the University of Washington and the Film & Video Communications Program at Seattle Central Community College and is active with community organizations, including serving on the Steering Committee of DigitalEve Seattle, a professional organization for women in technology, and on the Education Committee of Seattle Arts and Lectures.
- Adjunct Lecturer, "Digital Media Law and Policy," University of Washington Department of Communication, Master of Communication in Digital Media, 2009-2011
- Adjunct Lecturer, "Media Law and Ethics," Film & Video Communications Program, Seattle Central Community College, 2004-2005; 2007
- Member, Sports Lawyers Association, 2010 – present
- Member, American Bar Association, 2012 – present
- Member, American Bar Association, Forum Committee on Entertainment and Sports Industries, 2012 - present
- Member, The Recording Academy, 2013 – present
- Education Committee Member, Seattle Arts & Lectures, 2005-2007
- Technical Advisory Committee Member, Seattle Central Community College Film & Video Communications Program, 2005-2012
- Steering Committee Member, DigitalEve Seattle, 2002-2007
- Board Member, Seattle Sports Commission, 2013
- "Student Athletes or Employees? The Implications of Student Athletes Unionizing," Garvey Schubert Barer Legal Update, March 28, 2014.
- "Spotify Provides New Monetization Opportunity For Music Artists," Garvey Schubert Barer Legal Update, January 22, 2014.
- "New California Online Privacy Law Takes Effect on January 1, 2014," Garvey Schubert Barer Legal Update, December 31, 2013.