- What We Do
- Food & Beverage
Garvey Schubert Barer’s Food & Beverage group offers the depth of industry knowledge and experience of a boutique firm with the resources and breadth of a full-service mid-sized firm. Supported by corporate, regulatory, intellectual property and entertainment attorneys, the group services the needs of entrepreneurial food and beverage brands, established corporate brands, and the angel, venture capital, private equity and celebrity investors who fund those brands.
Helping clients identify and navigate the myriad of commercial and regulatory issues within the food and beverage industry, GSB’s counsel allows brands and investors to focus on growth opportunities and maximize business potential. Our attorneys represent early-stage ventures to established businesses, including packaged food and beverage companies, subscription box companies, candy manufacturers, processors and distributors, restaurants, breweries, wineries, distilleries and retail stores, as well as individual investors and venture capital and private equity funds who invest in the industry.
The core of our work in this sector involves:
- Corporate and securities, including formation, capital raises and financing
- M&A and joint ventures
- Manufacturing and distribution
- Intellectual property, including trademark and copyright registration and licensing
- Marketing and advertising, including brand ambassador and celebrity endorsement arrangements, co-branding and co-sale initiatives
- Regulatory advice and counseling, including on packaging and labeling and food safety matters
- Alcoholic beverage licensing and regulation
- Labor and employment
The firm's full-service capabilities also give brands and investors access to a broader range of services from which many of our food and beverage clients benefit, such as litigation and alternative dispute resolution, tax, employee benefits and executive compensation, trusts and estates (including succession planning), immigration and real estate.
Drafted commercial leases for hotel owner in its capacity as landlord to restaurateur tenants that provide room service to hotel guests; located in historic Pike Place Market.
Represented a Portland-based coffee company in its acquisition of new a roasting facility location in Southeast Portland, and long term leases for several new retail locations throughout the Portland area and in Southern California.
News & Events
- GSB Newsroom, 3.15.17
- Supply Chain World Magazine, 2.22.17
- Food and Drink Magazine, Spring 2017