- What We Do
- Sports, Arts and Entertainment
Garvey Schubert Barer’s Sports, Arts and Entertainment Group has the experience, know-how and vision to help our clients navigate the unique business and legal environment in which they operate, build their personal brands, and shape their careers for long-term success on and beyond the playing field and the stage. The practice has been recognized by Chambers USA, a preeminent publication providing independent rankings of top law firms and attorneys. We pride ourselves on being responsive, seeing the big picture and keeping abreast of rapidly evolving technology and other innovations affecting the industry.
Our group has the focus of a boutique firm, with the support of a full-service firm behind us. In addition to advising our clients on sports, arts and entertainment matters we are able to help with trademark and copyright registration and brand protection, formation of corporations and joint ventures and other matters related to launching a business, as well as handle a wide range of other legal issues including tax, estate planning, securities, immigration, labor and employment and criminal matters. With offices on both coasts as well as in Beijing and industry contacts worldwide, we are ideally situated to serve our clients’ needs.
We represent a diverse array of clients, from professional athletes and individual artists, writers, musicians, scripted and unscripted television stars and filmmakers, to companies involved in film and television production and distribution, publishing, musical recording and distribution and cutting-edge online entertainment services.
For current news and updates on issues relating to our areas of practice visit our blog: Sports & Entertainment Beat.
Our practice group provides an array of services to our clients involved in the business of sports. We service our sports clients in transactional and litigation matters to protect their interests in all personal, professional and business endeavors, including:
- endorsement agreements
- brand protection
- licensing and merchandising agreements
- trademark and copyright registration
- immigration and visas
- charitable activities
- tax and estate planning
- prenuptial, postnuptial and cohabitation planning
- privacy, publicity, defamation and social media
- various corporate matters including business formation
Our experience also includes NCAA eligibility, compliance and investigations, and we guide amateur athletes as well as their parents through the collegiate and professional process. We represent individuals and entities involved in amateur, collegiate and professional sports, including coaches, announcers/broadcasters, athletes, agents and corporate sponsors.
The clients of our film practice include actors, writers, producers, directors and production companies involved the in the development and production of domestic and international motion pictures distributed in all forms of media. Our services include:
- Development and Production Agreements
- Establishing production structures, including fund formation and private placements and offerings as well as individual Investor Agreements
- Screenplay Option and Acquisition Agreements
- Life Story Rights Agreements
- Completion Guarantees
- Writer, Director and Producer Agreements
- Talent and Crew Agreements
- Establishing and maintaining Guild Memberships
- Rights clearance and Release Agreements
- Location Agreements
- Product Placement and Integration Agreements
- Music Licensing
- Post-production Agreements
- Broadcast and cable television License and Production Agreements
- Distribution Agreements
- First Amendment issues
The clients of our television practice include production companies, content distributors, and individual talent working in the traditional television and new media space. Examples of our services include negotiating numerous television-related agreements, including performer agreements and shopping agreements, licensing life-story rights, endorsements and digital distribution agreements.
We represent Grammy-winning recording artists, songwriters, performers, producers and music supervisors, as well as independent record labels and music publishers, personal managers, business managers, talent agencies and music industry executives. Examples of our music and recording industry services include recording and distribution agreements, songwriting and publishing agreements, producer agreements, sampling and other clearance agreements, master use and synchronization licenses, touring and live event agreements, merchandising agreements and endorsements agreements.
The clients of our literary practice include new and established authors, journalists, illustrators and a variety of independent magazine and online/new media publications. Our representation and advocacy on behalf of our literary clients includes making introductions to quality literary agents and publishers and the negotiation of agent representation agreements and print and digital publishing contracts. We also assist clients who elect to self-publish their works. Our representation of those clients includes assisting with the evaluation of third-party service providers and the negotiation of agreements between our clients and those providers.
We negotiate ancillary agreements such as those between author and illustrator and assist with identifying and engaging industry–specific publicists.
In conjunction with other areas of our entertainment practice, we assist clients with the licensing of subsidiary and ancillary rights, such as film, television, theater and merchandising rights, as well as pursuing new media opportunities for their works.
The books of our clients include memoirs and biographies, poetry collections, novels, cookbooks, self-help, spiritual and inspirational books, health and fitness books and children’s books.
For our content publisher clients, our services include rights clearances, contributor agreements and releases and publication and distribution arrangements.
News & Events
- GSB Newsroom, 4.18.18
- Garvey Schubert Barer Launches New Practice to Help Companies Prevent and Respond to Workplace Misconduct IssuesGSB Newsroom, 3.13.18
- GSB Newsroom, 7.11.17
- Garvey Schubert Barer Ranked Among Leading U.S. Firms in Chambers USA 2017 Guide; Four Practices and 12 Lawyers FeaturedGSB Newsroom, 5.26.17
- Garvey Schubert Barer Attorney Rochelle L. Haller Elected as Fellow of American College of Trust and Estate CounselGSB Newsroom, 4.10.17
- Law360, 10.27.15
- GSB Press Release, 5.20.15
- LexBlog, 12.17.14
- Garvey Schubert Barer Counsel Eugene Lee and Engage Marketing founder Kevin Adler Fox Business Network Online interview on the impact of the Ray Rice scandal on the NFLFox Business Network Online, 9.11.14
- GSB Press Release, 8.20.14
- GSB Release, 5.27.14
- GSB Press Release, 12.31.13
- Congratulations to Our Client Serena Williams on Winning Her Fifth US Open Championship and Her 17th Grand Slam TitleGSB Press Release, 9.9.13
- GSB Press Release, 4.19.12
- Panel DiscussionNew York, NY, 3.8.18
- "March Winds – Ownership Report and Radio Online Public File Deadlines Loom," Public Media Business Association (PMBA) ToolkitWebinar1.17.18
- Panel PresentationSt. Paul, MN, 9.27.17
- Sports & Entertainment Beat Blog, 8.16.16
- Sports and Entertainment Beat, 8.15.14
- International Business Times, 2.20.14
- Forbes, 11.26.12
- Tim Tebow - How Do We Define GreatnessAugusta Free Press, 1.19.12
- Heisman Doesn't Predict Success on the FieldMSN Fox Sports, 12.13.11
- Penn State's Moral FailureWashington Times, 11.18.11
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel