- What We Do
Our Tax Group is dedicating to helping clients minimize risk and maximize tax benefits. We work closely with our clients to develop strategies and solutions reflective of their business objectives and assist in a wide range of tax matters – from structuring complex transactions and advising on related tax implications, to resolving tax controversies and valuation disputes.
On behalf of clients, GSB regularly helps individuals, closely held companies, publicly traded companies and nonprofit organizations in matters involving:
- Corporate, partnership and individual tax planning and advice
- Business formations, reorganizations, distributions, redemptions and liquidations
- Structuring mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other business transactions
- Real and personal property taxation, as well as real estate transactions and personal property exchanges
- Obtaining private letter rulings or technical advice from the National Office of the Internal Revenue Service and state and local tax authorities
- Tax aspects of debt relief and bankruptcy, including debt workouts
- Tax consequences incident to civil litigation
- Sales and use taxation
- Employee benefits and executive compensation planning, documentation and operational compliance
- Federal, state and local civil tax legislation
- Representation in criminal tax investigations, appeals and trials
- Opinions and testimony on tax legislation at the federal, state and local levels
- Tax consequences incident to divorce
Litigated and negotiated settlements for significant property tax appeals on shopping centers pending before the Oregon Tax Court.
Secured substantial property tax refunds for a marina based on a correction of land-use data.
Advised the purchaser of a multimillion-dollar Washington business of the real estate excise tax and sales/use tax ramifications as well as property tax considerations for the transaction.
- Local counsel with Sutherland in challenge to the central assessment of Comcast by the Department of Revenue
Comcast Corporation v. Department of Revenue, 2011 WL 3505148
Garvey Schubert Barer is local counsel with Sutherland in this challenge to the central assessment of Comcast by the Department of Revenue. Taxpayer was successful in the Oregon Tax Court. The case was reversed in part by the Oregon Supreme Court and is on remand in the Tax Court.
Obtained property tax reductions for general office facilities, industrial incubator warehouses, low-income housing projects, and common open-space parcels in planned residential developments.
Obtained property tax exemptions for low-income housing projects, including large refunds for past years.
- Worked on behalf of a large industrial client during multiple years of rapid plant expansions to reach fair property tax values
Successfully worked on behalf of a large industrial client during multiple years of rapid plant expansions to reach fair property tax values in a very complex situation. Established positive working relationships with state and local taxing authorities at the earliest point in the process and thereby avoided any need for tax appeals. Built on those relationships in each succeeding assessment year as the expansions progressed.
- Represented an international software development company in a Washington Department of Revenue audit
Represented an international software development company in a Washington Department of Revenue audit of its gross receipts apportionment, resulting in a large tax refund to the company and reduced future taxes.
Represented New Zealand fruit growers in contract discussions with U.S. parties for the growing of new varietals and horticultural products.
Acted as general counsel to U.S. technology company that raised pre-IPO financing in United Kingdom.
Advised U.S. trading company on sourcing electric power tools in Asia, manufacturing such products under license agreements and the importation into the United States.
- Provided legal and tax advice on the establishment of international joint ventures in the People’s Republic of China
Provided legal and tax advice on the establishment of international joint ventures in the People’s Republic of China for the production of pencils, ice cream, and shoes, respectively.
Counseled U.S. company on sourcing consumer technology products and electronic components in Asia and sale to U.S. wholesalers.
News & Events
- Portland Business Journal (subscription required), 4.20.17
- Michelle DeLappe Makes a Case for Uniformity in Property Tax Valuations in an Interview with Bloomberg BNABloomberg BNA, 4.6.17
- GSB Newsroom, 3.22.17
- GSB Newsroom, 2.16.17
- Bloomberg BNA, 9.19.16
- GSB Press Release, 8.15.16
- Larry's Tax Law, 4.11.17
- Form Over Substance Sometimes Prevails in Tax Law – Estate of George H. Bartell et. al. v. CommissionerLarry's Tax Law, 3.8.17
- Larry's Tax Law, 2.17.17
- Larry's Tax Law, 12.29.16
- Larry's Tax Law, 11.8.16
- Larry's Tax Law, 10.27.16
- Larry's Tax Law, 10.25.16
- Larry's Tax Law, 10.3.16
- Speaking EngagementPortland, OR, 4.26.17
- "1031 Exchanges – Recent Developments," 2017 Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants Annual Real Estate ConferenceSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 6.14.17
- "Entity Classification – Another Look at the Check-the-Box Regulations," New York University Summer Institute in TaxationSpeaking EngagementNew York, NY, 7.17.17-7.28.17
- Speaking EngagementNew York, NY, 10.22.17-10.27.17
- Speaking EngagementSan Francisco, CA, 11.12.17-11.17.17
- "Oregon Legislative Concept 3548 – Just When You Thought Measure 97 Was Dead, It May Be Back!" Washington State Bar Association Taxation Section SALT Committee MeetingSpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 3.23.17
- Speaking EngagementNew Orleans, LA, March 24, 2017
- Speaking EngagementPortland, OR, 12.21.16
- State Tax Notes (Volume 84, Number 4), 4.24.17
- State Tax Notes, 2.27.17
- American Property Tax Counsel, 12.30.16
- State Tax Notes, 9.26.16
- Journal of Taxation, September 2016
- Of Counsel