- What We Do
- Election and Political Law, Public Policy and Lobbying
Election and Political Law
GSB assists clients on a full range of issues related to "political" law such as federal and state election law, government ethics requirements, lobbying and foreign agent registration, and foreign investment reporting. We counsel clients on compliance with these laws, represent clients when they are facing problems and advocate their interests before government agencies throughout the country.
Our clients include a number of political committees, including a presidential campaign committee, corporations (both US and foreign), as well as politically active individuals. The practice is led by attorneys with prior experience as senior staff at the Federal Election Commission, the Federal Communications Commission, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Defense and the United States Congress.
Public Policy and Lobbying
GSB helps clients initiate and strengthen their relationships with Congress and federal agencies on legislative and policy matters. By combining traditional legal skills with our extensive knowledge of the legislative process, we help clients create and implement effective, achievable legislative strategies, and, when appropriate, lobby decision-makers to achieve our clients' objectives. Our clients include foreign governments, local municipalities, prominent media and energy companies, trade associations, Native American tribes and industry coalitions.
Our lawyers have extensive prior service inside government — as senior staff to members of Congress and congressional committees and as political appointees in federal departments and agencies. We have experience working with key congressional committees and dozens of federal departments and agencies.
GSB develops strategies that range from real-time, in-depth analysis of political developments to intervention through lobbying, administrative proceedings, litigation, public relations, coalition building and targeted communications to decision-makers.
We Are Problem Solvers
Our lawyers are practical problem-solvers who work within our clients' budgets to meet their strategic objectives. We provide clients with critical information and insight, analyze their options and recommend realistic courses of action. We take a multidisciplinary approach to a client's situation — examining the legal, business, political, investment and competitive aspects of the problem. We also tap into our extensive network of outside experts to maximize efficiency and to provide our clients with the best result possible.
Garvey Schubert Barer has an active political presence in Washington, D.C. but our lawyers draw on substantive industry-specific expertise throughout the firm. Our track record demonstrates that our firm has the experience, know-how and relationships to accomplish our clients’ objectives.
Represented presidential campaign in litigation against party’s governing body, requesting fair and equitable treatment under contract administering voter file database.
Represented group of 17-year-old voters, who would be 18 at the time of the general election, in lawsuit to enjoin repeal of their right to vote in related primary contests.
News & Events
- GSB Publishes Updated, Free Handbook for Radio Industry Executives on Managing Political AdvertisingGSB Newsroom, 9.6.17
- The Toronto Star, 6.13.17
- USA Today, 6.8.17
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Washington Post Concerning the Use of Campaign Funds to Pay the Personal Legal Expenses of the PresidentThe Washington Post, 5.22.17
- Dan Petalas Discusses Appointment of Special Counsel Robert Mueller III Who Serves in the Investigation of the President for Possible Obstruction of JusticeKNX 1070 Newsradio, 5.18.17
- Dan Petalas Was Quoted in The Washington Post Concerning the Challenges Inherent in an Obstruction ProsecutionThe Washington Post, 5.17.17
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Washington Post Regarding Payments the Trump Campaign Made to a Business Associate of Former National Security AdvisorThe Washington Post, 5.4.17
- Dan Petalas Discusses Law of Immunity From Prosecution Regarding Potential Congressional Testimony of Former National Security Advisor Michael FlynnKNX 1070 Newsradio, 3.31.17
- Dan Petalas Quoted in Mother Jones Concerning the Possible Personal Use of Campaign Funds by Deputy National Security Advisor K.T. McFarlandMother Jones, 3.16.17
- Dan Petalas Provides Insights on Possible Congressional Oversight Hearings of Federal Election Commission in The Center for Public IntegrityThe Center for Public Integrity, 3.13.17
- The Washington Post, 2.19.17
- Dan Petalas Quoted in OpenSecrets.Org on Increase of Lobbying and Political Spending of Large Tech Companies After Going PublicOpenSecrets.org, 1.6.17
- Time, 12.15.16
- Dan Petalas Comments in Boston Globe Article About Multiple Federal Investigations into Law Firm’s Political DonationsBoston Globe, 11.16.16
- The Washington Post, 11.4.16
- The Boston Globe, 10.29.16
- Washington Post, 10.10.16
- The Washington Post, 9.20.16
- Bloomberg BNA Quotes Dan Petalas on Federal Court Ruling That Faulted FEC for Failure to Enforce Disclosure on NonprofitsBloomberg BNA, 9.19.16
- GSB Press Release, 9.6.16
- The American Lawyer (subscription required), 4.19.16
- Radio and Television Business Report, 9.3.14
- GSB Press Release, 7.30.14
- Speaking EngagementWeb Conference, 12.8.10
- "Environmental Policy and Regulatory Update – Energy and Climate Change Legislation, EPA Rulemaking and More," U.S. Conference of Mayors, Municipal Waste Management Association Fall SummitSpeaking EngagementBaltimore, MD, 10.1.10
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel
- Office Managing Director and Owner
Practice ContactsView Related Professionals
GSB is rated Tier 1 for Administrative/Regulatory Law and Tier 1 Government Relations Practice in Portland, Oregon.