Our Federal Tax lawyers help clients successfully navigate federal tax laws, advising them on myriad issues including minimizing tax burdens, compliance, and transactional tax planning and structuring. We deliver a full range of tax-related services to clients, backed by decades of experience.
Transactional Tax Planning
Our lawyers help business clients plan for, identify and resolve tax issues arising in mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, recapitalizations, real estate and other transactions. We assist new businesses to select a tax-appropriate legal structure.
Tax Controversies: Audits, Appeals and Litigation
Garvey Schubert Barer tax attorneys have a strong track record and decades of experience to back up advising and defending clients in tax controversies. We represent clients in income tax, employment tax, and estate and gift tax examinations, appeals and litigation. Our attorneys also provide legal support to CPAs and tax return preparers during examinations and appeals.
Criminal Tax Litigation
Our lawyers represent taxpayers being investigated or prosecuted in criminal tax matters, which may include charges of tax evasion, failure to file returns and reports, or filing false returns and reports.
Bankruptcy and Taxes
Bankruptcy proceedings have significant tax implications to debtors and creditors. We advise debtors, creditors and potential third-party investors on federal tax issues arising out of bankruptcy or debt restructuring. In addition, we help clients negotiate disputes with taxing authorities over the priority of tax liabilities.
Estate and Gift Tax Planning and Succession Planning for Family-Owned Businesses
We offer clients an array of estate-planning services from straightforward planning to structuring highly complex estate plans. We advise clients on gift planning, generation-skipping transfer tax planning, the use and creation of living trusts, family limited partnerships, durable powers of attorney and property transfer agreements.
Our lawyers help family-owned businesses plan for the transfer of control from one generation to the next, employing such planning tools as irrevocable trusts funded with life insurance to finance estate tax obligations. For more information, see the description of our Estate Planning and Probate practice on our Web site.
Employee Benefit Plans
We design and qualify a variety of retirement plans, including traditional defined benefit plans, cash balance plans, profit-sharing plans, 401(k) plans and other employee benefit arrangements. We also advise clients on the day-to-day administration of plans, and help them prepare reports and returns. Additionally, we represent them in disputes involving the duties of fiduciaries and the rights of participants and beneficiaries. For more information, see the description of our Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation practice on our Web site.
Our tax-exempt clients include healthcare providers, educational institutions and other nonprofit organizations. We help our clients obtain and maintain tax-exempt status. In addition, we offer advice on structuring joint ventures, characterizing income and obtaining tax-exempt financing. For more information, see the description of our Charitable and Tax-Exempt Organizations practice on our Web site.
News & Events
- GSB Newsroom, 3.22.17
- "Tax Reform and What It May Mean for You and Your Business," 2017 Spring Educational Conference of the Multi-Housing Laundry AssociationSpeaking EngagementNaples, FL, 4.8.17
- Speaking EngagementNew York, NY, 10.22.17-10.27.17
- Speaking EngagementSan Francisco, CA, 11.12.17-11.17.17
- "Tax Considerations for Foreign Investment in the United States," Hawaii Association of Public AccountantsSpeaking EngagementMaui, HI, 6.13.14
- "Working with Financial, Tax, and Legal Advisors," Nichibei Women's NetworkSpeaking EngagementIssaquah, WA, 6.14.08
- Employer-Owned Life Insurance Rules May Unintentionally 'Clean Up' More Than Just Wal-Mart 'Janitor Policies'1.1.09
- Failure of IRC §1031 Exchange Qualified Intermediary Highlights Risks and Is a Reminder of the Importance of Due Diligence When Selecting a Qualified Intermediary12.22.08
- New 'Bailout' Law Bails Out More than Just Financial Institutions - More Likely Than Not Standard for Tax Return Preparers is Replaced by Substantial Authority Standard10.7.08
- State Tax Notes, 2.27.17
- Failures of IRC §1031 Exchange Qualified Intermediaries Highlight Risks and the Importance of Due Diligence When Selecting a Qualified IntermediaryThe Oregon Certified Public Accountant, 3.1.09
- The Oregon Certified Public Accountant, 7.1.07
- Of Counsel