Brent Jones helps middle market and lower middle market companies grow their businesses, access capital, dispose of unneeded assets and find buyers. He works closely with M&A clients and listens to their goals, then customizes a transaction strategy to meet their specific needs. He is known for his nimble approach and navigates around potential roadblocks to a deal to find practical solutions.
Brent works to design an efficient process for every transaction, from assembling the right-sized team to the due diligence approach through to structuring terms, negotiation and execution. He works with companies in many industries, and collaborates as needed with GSB industry-focused attorneys to solve sector-specific issues. Brent is chair of the firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group.
Brent also provides advice on creating and optimizing corporate structures, drafting business agreements and contracts, governance issues and corporate regulatory compliance.
Brent frequently works with family-owned and closely-held businesses, who often have a strong long-term vision for their company. He helps design ownership structures that provides sufficient capital for growth while allowing the family to control key parts of the business, and provide strong corporate governance oversight. When and if the time comes to sell the business, Brent works closely with the owners to ensure an orderly transaction.
Some of Brent’s clients include Saltchuk Resources, Kibble & Prentice, Glacier Fish Company, TOTE Maritime, Alpine Pacific Capital and Westward Partners.
- President, Board of Trustees, Sand Point Country Club Homeowners' Association
- Member, House and Swim/Fitness Committees, Sand Point Country Club
Ongoing representation of Westward Partners, LLC in various acquisition, divestiture and corporate matters.
GSB represented Incident Catering Services in its leveraged buyout of GFP Enterprises and related entities. GFP is a nationally recognized leader in emergency response services, ranging from wild land firefighting and base camp support services to full incident management teams. The company has over 400 employees. GSB advised the buyer in all aspects of the acquisition and related debt and equity financing, including transaction structure and related tax implications, documentation for the acquisition and debt and equity financings, and due diligence.
GSB represented the sellers of Evolution Hospitality in its sale to Aimbridge Hospitality. Aimbridge is the nation’s second largest independent hotel investment and management firm. GSB advised the sellers in all aspects of the transaction, including structure, documentation, buyer due diligence (purchase price included an equity component in buyer), and broad seller due diligence.
Assisted in the equity sale by seller stakeholders of Revenue Management Solutions (RMS) to a foreign investor group. RMS leverages premier consulting services and patented methodology in the use of statistics and quantitative modelling for the airline industry.
GSB represented Physicians Anesthesia Service (PAS), the largest group of anesthesiologists serving the Seattle area, in creating a newly formed partnership with U.S. Anesthesia Partners (USAP).
Represented Nautilus, Inc., in connection with acquisition of Pearl Izumi USA, Inc.
Represented Nautilus, Inc., in its acquisition and subsequent divestiture of Pearl Izumi USA, Inc.
- Represented buyer in the acquisition of a large international shipping division of a publicly traded seller
Represented buyer in the acquisition of a large international shipping division of a publicly traded seller. GSB's representation included broad due diligence (including environmental, regulatory, corporate, labor, employment, intellectual property, benefits), risk analysis, and the negotiation and drafting of all definitive documentation.
Represented Glacier Fish Company in various acquisitions and asset sales.
Represented North Star Petroleum in its acquisitions of several petroleum distribution companies, including Delta Western and Maui Petroleum.
- Represented private equity buyer in connection with the leveraged buyout of a government services contractor
Represented private equity buyer in connection with the leveraged buyout of a government services contractor. GSB assisted with all aspects of the transaction, including the equity acquisition of the target, the securities offering for fund investors, and the simultaneous senior secured credit facility used to fund the acquisition.
- Represented private equity buyer in connection with the leveraged buyout of a heavy equipment owner/operator in the States of Washington and Oregon
Represented private equity buyer in connection with the leveraged buyout of a heavy equipment owner/operator in the States of Washington and Oregon. GSB handled both the equity acquisition from the former owners as well as the simultaneous senior secured credit facility used to fund the acquisition.
Ongoing representation of Saltchuk Resources, Inc. in various acquisition, divestiture and corporate matters.
- Represented nationwide transportation and logistics company in connection with the simultaneous refinance of its syndicated secured bank credit facility and the private placement of senior secured notes to institutional investors
Represented nationwide transportation and logistics company in connection with the simultaneous refinance of its syndicated secured bank credit facility and the private placement of senior secured notes to institutional investors. Negotiated and coordinated all aspects of the transactions on behalf of the borrower, including definitive documentation, due diligence, legal opinions, and corporate matters with respect to the borrower and approximately 20 guarantor entities.
Represented Leader Creek Fisheries in its asset sale to the Canadian Fishing Company (Canfisco).
- Represented large privately held natural resources company in the merger of a forest products subsidiary with a primary competitor
Represented large privately held natural resources company in the merger of a forest products subsidiary with a primary competitor. Negotiated and drafted all legal documentation, including letter of intent, contribution agreements and operating agreement for the surviving entity. Assisted with real property transfers and related matters, including environmental review and title policies. Also assisted with senior secured credit facility for the surviving company.
Represented Kibble & Prentice Holding Company and parent company USI in several insurance brokerage acquisitions.
News & Insights
- GSB Newsroom, 4.25.19
- 28 GSB Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 List; Two Portland Lawyers Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’GSB Newsroom, 8.15.18
- GSB Newsroom, 5.3.18
- Garvey Schubert Barer Ranked Among Leading U.S. Firms in Chambers USA 2017 Guide; Four Practices and 12 Lawyers FeaturedGSB Newsroom, 5.26.17
- GSB Represents Physicians Anesthesia Service in Its Newly Formed Partnership With U.S. Anesthesia PartnersGSB Newsroom, 2.9.17
- Pacific Maritime Magazine, August, 2016
- Chambers USA, 5.27.16
- GSB Press Release, 5.20.15
- GSB Release, 5.27.14
- GSB Press Release, 6.20.11
- GSB Press Release, 2.11.11
- Washington, 1999
University of Washington School of Law, J.D., 1999
- Notes and Comments Editor, Pacific Rim Law and Policy Journal
University of Washington, B.A., Business Administration, 1996
Honors | Recognitions
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2019
- Named by peers as one of the "Rising Stars" of Washington law in Washington Law & Politics magazine, 2003-2011
- Listed in The Legal 500, Northwest U.S. Mergers and Acquisitions, law firm rankings, 2010-2011
- Named by Chambers USA as one of America’s Up and Coming Lawyers for Corporate/Commercial, 2014-2016
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Corporate/Commercial (Washington), 2017-2019