Dan focuses on helping lawyers, accountants and other professionals mitigate risks and resolve complex disputes, often involving securities and business-related litigation.
Dan's practice includes complex business litigation, securities litigation, professional malpractice, class action litigation, appeals and alternative dispute resolution. He has experience negotiating and implementing complicated settlement transactions involving numerous claims and parties. He also counsels professional and institutional clients on risk management issues. Dan is an avid bicycle commuter who spends his off-duty time hiking the Columbia River Gorge.
- Oregon State Bar
Legal Ethics Committee - Chair (2018); Secretary (2016)
Securities Regulation Section - Secretary (2018)
Uniform Civil Jury Instructions Committee - Chair (2001); Member (1999-2001)
Bar Press & Broadcasters' Council - Member (2006-2008)
- Multnomah Bar Association
Nonprofit Pro Bono Project Volunteer
Speaker: Young Litigators' Forum/Jury Instructions (2013)
- Oregon Law Institute of Lewis & Clark School of Law
Speaker and Program Planner: New Trends in Oregon Discovery/Mandamus Review (2013)
- City Club of Portland
Bicycle Transportation Research Committee - Chair (2012-2013)
Bicycle Transportation Advocacy Committee - Member (2013-2014)
Liquor Privatization Research Committee - Member (2013-2014)
- Sunnyside Environmental School PTSA
Board Member (2008-2014)
Board Secretary (2012-2013)
Successfully petitioned for mandamus review in Oregon Supreme Court on issue of first impression in Oregon concerning attorney-client privilege accorded to in-house counsel.
Drafted settlement agreements and implemented of complex securities class action settlement on behalf of regional law firm.
Drafted and argued successful motion to dismiss securities lawsuit in Oregon Circuit Court on behalf of North Carolina law firm.
Drafted agreements and managed resolution of complex class action settlement of companion litigation on behalf of national law firms.
In securities litigation, conducted depositions and drafted briefs in support of successful summary judgment motion in favor of defendant law firm before the trial court and in successful appeal.
In healthcare antitrust litigation, drafted summary judgment motion on behalf of a physician group that helped persuade plaintiffs to voluntarily dismiss the physician group from the lawsuit. Then prepared claim against the physician group's insurer that resulted in reimbursement of nearly all litigation defense costs.
In telecommunication securities litigation, drafted and argued successful motion to dismiss claims against a group of defendants.
In product liability C-K fuel tank litigation, drafted briefs in favor of plaintiff that successfully opposed manufacturer's motions to dismiss and summary judgment.
- Cannabis Business Blog, 2.22.18
News & Insights
- GSB Newsroom, 1.2.19
- Portland Business Journal (subscription required), 2.10.17
- GSB Deepens Litigation Team in Portland with Addition of Name Partner and Team from Kennedy Watts ArellanoGSB Newsroom, 1.3.17
- "State and Provincial Regulatory Updates," 39th Annual Northwest Securities Institute - Oregon State BarPanel DiscussionPortland, OR, 5.3.19
- "Insecurity: The Interplay of Ethics and Liability for Securities Lawyers," 39th Annual Northwest Securities Institute - Oregon State BarSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 5.3.19
- "The Clouds of Oregon’s Blue Sky Law: Securities Liability Risks for Transactional Lawyers," Oregon State Bar Securities Regulation Section MeetingSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 12.19.18
- Speaking EngagementPortland, OR, 11.2.18
- Speaking EngagementBend, OR, 5.10.18
- "Ominous Clouds: Things That Can Make Blue Sky Lawyers Blue," WSBA 38th Annual Northwest Securities Institute CLESpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 5.4.18
- "Securities Liability for Transactional Lawyers Under Oregon’s Expansive Blue Sky Law," Oregon State Bar Securities Regulation Section EventSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 12.20.17
- Speaking EngagementTigard, OR, 9.13.17
- "Oregon's Blue Sky Securities Law—Better Safe than Sorry," Oregon State Bar 2017 RELU Summer ConferenceSpeaking EngagementBend, OR, 8.18.17
- "What You May Not Know About the Application of the Attorney-Client Privilege, Work Product Doctrine and Joint Defense Doctrine in Oregon," Oregon State Bar 2017 RELU Spring ForumSpeaking EngagementTigard, OR, 4.28.17
- inBrief (Oregon State Bar - Professional Liability Fund), June 2019
- Presentation Outline: "Securities Liability for Transactional Lawyers Under Oregon’s Expansive Blue Sky Law," Oregon State Bar Securities Regulation Section EventGSB Newsroom, 12.20.17
- GSB Newsroom, 6.17
- Oregon, 1992
- Washington, 2000
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 1996
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, 2018
Gonzaga University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1992
Willamette University, College of Liberal Arts, B.A., 1989
Honors | Recognitions
- Martindale Peer Review Rating: AV (highest rating)