Diana partners with employers to address the wide range of personnel and management issues that arise for every business including discrimination and harassment, wage and hour, leave of absence and accommodation, and noncompetition, confidentiality and trade secret matters. Diana provides advice, counseling, and represents employers in litigation and administrative actions with a business-minded and practical approach.
In her advice and counseling practice, Diana focuses on ensuring employers get the help they need when they need it -- from creating and implementing policies and procedures to providing key timely advice during volatile workplace situations and everything in between. She offers clients tailored manager and employment training on a full complement of employment-related topics, including anti-harassment and effective discipline.
- Perform internal audits and implement strategies for reducing risks on wage-and-hour issues such as exempt/non-exempt classifications, overtime practices, meal and rest periods, and independent contractor designations.
- Assist with human resources due diligence, risk reduction and integration in business purchase and sale transactions.
- Member, Washington Lodging Association
- Member, Society for Human Resource Management
- Board Member, Mother Attorney Mentoring Association of Seattle
- Board Member, The Learning Tree
Advises human resource professionals and executives regarding sensitive employment terminations and workplace issues.
- Defended an employer against charges of sex discrimination and retaliation in an administrative action
Successfully defended an employer against charges of sex discrimination and retaliation in an administrative action resulting in the agency finding of no reasonable cause to determine the employer discriminated or retaliated against a former employee.
Defended an employer in a disability discrimination and retaliation lawsuit resulting in a favorable settlement.
Successfully defended an employer in a U.S. Department of Labor wage and hour audit resulting in a positive resolution.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of individual manager sued in sexual harassment and retaliation lawsuit
Obtained summary judgment in favor of individual manager sued in sexual harassment and retaliation lawsuit filed by former direct report in King County Superior Court.
- Obtained temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions to stop a client’s former employees from violating non-compete agreements
Obtained temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions to stop a client’s former employees from violating non-compete agreements and misappropriating trade secrets.
Obtained summary judgment in favor of an employer in a race discrimination and retaliation lawsuit filed by a former employee in King County Superior Court.
Secured defense verdict in a discrimination and retaliation lawsuit by a former employee of regional public entity in King County Superior Court. Result was not appealed.
- Family Business Bulletin, 10.10.18
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 11.23.16
- US Supreme Court Clarifies That Employers May Not Make Religious Practices, Confirmed or Not, a Factor in Employment DecisionsDuff on Hospitality Law, 6.5.15
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 7.26.13
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 4.27.12
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 1.27.12
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 9.27.11
- Washington's Medical Use of Marijuana Act NOT a Blanket Protection Against Issues Arising From Medical Marijuana UseDuff on Hospitality Law, 6.17.11
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 4.12.11
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 3.22.11
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 11.30.10
News & Insights
- 28 GSB Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 List; Two Portland Lawyers Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’GSB Newsroom, 8.15.18
- GSB Newsroom, 5.3.18
- Garvey Schubert Barer Launches New Practice to Help Companies Prevent and Respond to Workplace Misconduct IssuesGSB Newsroom, 3.13.18
- 30 GSB Attorneys Named to the 2018 The Best Lawyers in America® List; Three Lawyers Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’GSB Newsroom, 8.15.17
- Garvey Schubert Barer Ranked Among Leading U.S. Firms in Chambers USA 2017 Guide; Four Practices and 12 Lawyers FeaturedGSB Newsroom, 5.26.17
- GSB Press Release, 8.25.16
- GSB Press Release, 8.24.15
- GSB Press Release, 9.13.13
- GSB Press Release, 8.16.13
- GSB Press Release, 9.7.12
- GSB Press Release, 6.27.12
- Garvey Schubert Barer Launches Hospitality, Travel and Tourism Practice With Addition of Five AttorneysGSB Press Release, 11.1.11
- Co-sponsored eventSeattle, WA, 10.25.18
- "Paycheck or Pinkslip?" Moderator, Transportation Intermediaries Association, TIA 2015 Capital Ideas Conference & ExhibitionSpeaking EngagementOrlando, FL, 4.16.15
- "Policy Hash: A Review of Seattle's Minimum Wage and Wage Theft Ordinances," Panel Member, Seattle Chamber of CommerceSpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 4.9.15
- "Discussion re Seattle's Minimum Wage Ordinance," Panel Member, Seattle Hotel AssociationSpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 3.26.15
- "Avoid the Department of Anti-Labor. Make the FLSA Framework work for you," Transportation Intermediaries Association, TIA 2014 Great Ideas Conference & ExhibitionSpeaking EngagementTuscon, AZ, 4.10.14
- "TIA Operations Committee Meeting," Panel Member, Transportation Intermediaries Association, TIA Fall Meeting 2013Speaking EngagementHouston, TX, 11.17.13
- "Employment Liabilities. Addressing the challenges of employee classification & independent contractors," Transportation Intermediaries Association, 2013 TIA Convention and Trade ShowSpeaking EngagementLas Vegas, NV, 4.12.13
- Puget Sound Business Journal, 2.16.18
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
University of Oregon School of Law, J.D., 1999
- Staff Member, Oregon Law Review, 1997-1998
Michigan State University, B.A., with honors, 1994
Honors | Recognitions
- Named by peers to The Best Lawyers in America© in the area of Employment Law - Management, 2013-2019, and areas of Labor & Employment Law, 2013-2016
- Named by peers a “Rising Star” in Super Lawyers, 2004-2013
- Named a "Rising Star" in Super Lawyers Washington Women's Edition, 2013
- Ranked in Chambers USA as a Recognized Practitioner for Labor & Employment (Washington), 2017-2018