John serves as general outside counsel to business organizations and their owners, advising on a range of legal issues, controversies, and opportunities.
He advises clients in a wide range of commercial matters, as well as matters related to government contracting and to transportation; licensing and other contracts; mergers; acquisitions; equity and debt financings; and other business transactions.
Many of John’s clients are small to medium sized companies that are based in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area and provide goods and services for U.S. Government procurement. He advises on government contracts and subcontracts, teaming agreements and joint ventures, on organizational and financing issues, on the structure and negotiations of mergers and acquisitions, and on obtaining novations. John also advises clients with regard to bid protests and government contract disputes.
Additionally, John represents numerous transportation companies that provide services to the U.S. Government, especially the U.S. Department of Defense under the U.S. Transportation Command (USTRANSCOM).
He has advised clients in numerous transactions, helping them achieve excellent results when they sell their companies.
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association Business Law Section, Subcommittee on Emerging Companies
- Member, Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- Instructor, "An Introduction to the Legal System," American Law Institute, 1997-1999
- Instructor, Introduction to Federal Procurement Law, The Federal Contracting Academy, Montgomery County Community College, 2011
- Election Observer, Egyptian Parliamentary Elections, January 2014, as part of mission of Democracy International
- Venture Advisor, BSA Venture Crew 52 (Chevy Chase, MD), 2015 – present
- Member, East Bethesda Citizen Association
News & Insights
- GSB Newsroom, 1.2.19
- Law360 (subscription required), 2.10.17
- GSB Serves as Special Government Contract Counsel to Salient CRGT for Its Recent Acquisition of Information Innovators, Inc.GSB Newsroom, 2.9.17
- GSB Press Release, 11.3.14
- Bloomberg BNA, Inc., Federal Contracts Report, 10.7.14
- Democracy International, 1.7.14
- SeminarGarvey Schubert Barer, 10.3.13
- "Negotiating the Deal," National Association of Broadcasters Education Foundation Broadcast Leadership Training ProgramSpeaking EngagementWashington, D.C., 2007-2010
- "Be Aware: Federal and State Securities Rules Apply to Start-up Companies," Montgomery County’s Business Innovation Network LuncheonSpeaking EngagementShady Grove Innovation Center, Rockville, MD, 3.11.10
- "Safety Act for Certified Cargo Screening Facilities," Global Trade and Commerce Association, Air Cargo Security SummitSpeaking EngagementOrlando, FL, 10.28.09
- "Prime Versus Sub Considerations," Maryland Association of CPAs, Annual Government Contractors ConferenceSpeaking EngagementGaithersburg, MD, 9.9.09
- "How to Avoid Pitfalls in Government Subcontracts," Garvey Schubert Barer and Macro Solutions, Inc.SeminarGarvey Schubert Barer, Washington, D.C., 6.24.08
- Aggressive Enforcement Increases Importance of “Country of Origin” Compliance in Federal Contracting8.7.13
- DoD Adopts Final Rules That May Allow Project Management Support Contractors to See Your Proprietary Technical Data and Software6.5.13
- Sequestration & Austerity May Increase Government’s Use of Terminations for Convenience – Be Prepared!3.12.13
- Subcontractors: Be Careful About Accepting the FAR Clause Requiring a Contractor Code of Business Ethics and Conduct10.1.09
- Radio & Television Business Report, 6.8.16
- Radio & Television Business Report, 12.5.14
- Garvey Schubert Barer News Alert, 11.3.14
- A Stitch In Time: An Annual Audit Will Save You Time And MoneySmall Market Radio Newsletter, 9.2.10
- The Journal of Commerce, 10.12.09
- Maryland, 1993
- District of Columbia, 1995
- Court of Federal Claims, 2014
American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1992
American University, M.A., Law in International Relations, 1993
State University of New York at Albany, B.A., Russian, 1986