Joe focuses on guiding owners, developers and lenders through multifaceted residential and commercial real estate transactions.
He has practiced in the areas of real estate, business and banking law in Oregon for more than 30 years. Joe’s real estate practice includes representation of owners, developers, tenants and lenders in a wide variety of matters, particularly in connection with residential and commercial real estate acquisition, leasing, development and finance.
Joe routinely negotiates and drafts joint venture agreements, purchase and sale agreements, leases, easements, option agreements and loan and financing documents. He also provides legal advice on title, land use, environmental and Section 1031 exchange issues.
His business practice includes business planning, limited liability company and other entity formation, negotiation and preparation of contracts, purchase and sale of business entities and corporate governance matters. Joe also represents several nonprofit corporations.
Joe formerly served as in-house counsel with U.S. Bancorp, where he provided legal advice regarding all aspects of finance and banking, including commercial and consumer lending, retail and electronic banking services and regulatory compliance.
- Member, Oregon State Bar Real Estate and Land Use Section
- Pro Bono Counsel to several nonprofit organizations including Oregon Business Association, Edwards Center, Tualatin Lacrosse Club and Northwest Mothers Milk Bank
- Volunteer, City of Tualatin youth sports organizations
Represented the owner of a Holiday Inn Express franchise in Oregon in negotiating and preparing an AIA design-build agreement with an architect/contractor for a multi-phase project that included the replacement of siding and windows. Extensive negotiations included provisions for liquidated damages for late delivery of work and coordination of work to minimize interference with hotel operations.
Represented purchaser of asphalt refinery assets and real property located in Portland, Oregon, including acquisition of submerged land lease, railroad easement rights, and extensive pipeline easements and City of Portland franchise rights. Transaction included formation of new purchaser entity and review and negotiation of loan documents to finance the acquisition.
Represented nationally-based commercial lender in $25-million equipment and real estate secured financing as part of a $45-million asset acquisition of heavy equipment dealer in Lane County, Oregon, including negotiating and preparing secured loan documentation for real and personal property located in multiple Oregon counties.
Represented Japanese microchip manufacturer in $3.8-million acquisition of industrial park site in Hillsboro, Oregon, and subsequent construction and development of $8.1-million semiconductor manufacturing facility, including synthetic lease financing.
Represented residential developers in land acquisitions and subsequent developments for subdivision, PUD, town and condominium projects in Portland, Oregon, metropolitan area. This included negotiating and documenting options to purchase for regional homebuilder on over 150 acres of land in Washington County, Oregon, for residential subdivision development. Also represented several family farm clients in multi-million dollar sales of land to developers and subsequent tax-deferred exchanges into investment real estate.
Represented owner of assisted-living facilities in connection with obtaining $40-million line of credit secured by 16 assisted-living properties located throughout the United States, including subsequent amendments with additional 18 assisted-living facilities as collateral.
Represented purchasers and sellers in multimillion dollar acquisitions and sales of regional, retail shopping centers, including negotiating financing and reviewing leases, title, environmental and other due diligence matters. These transactions include acquisitions to complete Section 1031 tax-deferred exchanges. Ongoing representation for owners include leasing and loan covenant compliance matters.
Assisted regional leasing equipment dealer with ground lease and industrial building development in Washington County, Oregon, including option to purchase.
Represented purchaser of downtown Portland, Oregon office building, including due diligence review of all leases, estoppel certificate coordination, title and survey review and closing matters. Ongoing representation negotiating new leases.
Represented buyers and sellers in hotel purchases and sales, including financing matters.
Represented purchaser of electric generator facility, including negotiation of Purchase and Sale Agreement, title review and closing matters.
- Northwest Real Estate Forum , 2.8.18
- Cannabis Business Blog, 12.7.17
- Northwest Real Estate Forum , 10.5.17
- Cannabis Business Blog, 10.4.17
- Northwest Real Estate Forum , 3.6.15
- Northwest Real Estate Forum , 10.11.13
- Northwest Real Estate Forum , 12.14.12
- Notes from 2012 ICSC Shopping Center Law Conference: Hurricane Sandy and Damage and Destruction Clauses in Retail LeasesNorthwest Real Estate Forum , 11.13.12
- Northwest Real Estate Forum , 7.24.12
- Northwest Real Estate Forum , 5.11.12
- Northwest Real Estate Forum , 2.10.12
- Northwest Real Estate Forum , 11.10.11
- Northwest Real Estate Forum , 7.13.11
- Northwest Real Estate Forum , 6.16.11
- Northwest Real Estate Forum , 12.29.10
News & Insights
- 28 GSB Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 List; Two Portland Lawyers Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’GSB Newsroom, 8.15.18
- 30 GSB Attorneys Named to the 2018 The Best Lawyers in America® List; Three Lawyers Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’GSB Newsroom, 8.15.17
- GSB Newsroom, 7.11.17
- GSB Press Release, 8.25.16
- GSB Press Release, 7.11.16
- GSB Press Release, 9.17.15
- GSB Press Release, 8.24.15
- GSB Press Release, 8.24.15
- GSB Press Release, 9.13.13
- GSB Press Release, 8.16.13
- GSB Press Release, 9.7.12
- GSB Press Release, 7.17.12
- GSB Press Release, 9.6.11
- GSB Press Release, 8.18.11
- GSB Press Release, 11.17.10
- GSB Press Release, 8.4.10
- GSB Press Release, 11.17.09
- Garvey Schubert Barer Welcomes New Owners; Expands Business, Real Estate and Land Use Practice AreasGSB Press Release, 5.1.09
- Continuing Education SeminarPortland, OR, 5.11.18
- Speaking EngagementPortland, OR, 1.18.18
- "Key Considerations When Buying, Selling and Leasing Real Estate for Cannabis Use," Cannabis Investment Network - Portland Pitch EventSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 10.11.17
- Cannabis Business SeminarPortland, OR, 5.18.17
- SeminarGarvey Schubert Barer, Portland, OR, 2.8.12
- Speaking EngagementPortland Building Auditorium, Portland, OR, 12.11.09
- Oregon, 1985
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon, 1985
University of Oregon School of Law, J.D., 1985
Willamette University, B.S., Political Science and Economics, 1982
Honors | Recognitions
- Named by Best Lawyers® as Lawyer of the Year, Corporate Compliance Law, Portland, OR, 2016
- Named by peers to The Best Lawyers in America© in the areas of Real Estate Law, Corporate Compliance Law, Corporate Governance Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, 2011-2019
- Named by peers as a "Super Lawyer" in Oregon Super Lawyers magazine, 2008-2018
- Named by peers as a "Super Lawyer" in Super Lawyers Business Edition, 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell AV/5.0 Peer Review Rated