Matthew Schneider is managing director of the firm's Washington, D.C., and New York offices. In his practice, he represents businesses and trade associations before federal regulatory agencies and departments and the U.S. Congress. Mr. Schneider also serves as general counsel to trade associations and advises businesses on transactions.
His areas of focus include energy and environmental law and policy; regulation of pesticides, food, drugs, and cosmetics; consumer product regulation; emerging technologies; foreign relations and trade policy.
Previously, Matt served in a variety of positions in the federal government including chief of staff to U.S. Senator Jeff Bingaman; special assistant in the Office of the Secretary of Defense; director, Office of Legislative Affairs, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission; and counsel, U.S. Senate Committee on Government Affairs. He was chair of the Government Relations Department at the law firm of Willkie Farr & Gallagher.
- Managing Director, Garvey Schubert Barer New York office, 2001-2018; Washington, D.C., office, 1998-2018
- Member, National Board of Directors, Epilepsy Foundation (until 2004)
- Professional Advisory Board Member, Epilepsy Foundation Jeanne H. Carpenter Legal Defense Fund
- Board Member and Officer, Epilepsy Foundation, Chesapeake Region (until 1998)
- Member, Board of Directors, Capitol Hill Hospital, 1981-1987
News & Insights
- Garvey Schubert Barer Announces 2009 Washington, D.C., Attorney Appointments to Firm-wide Executive CommitteeGSB Press Release, 2.17.09
- Garvey Schubert Barer Announces 2008 Washington, D.C., Attorney Appointments to Firm-wide Executive CommitteeGSB Press Release, 1.2.08
- Garvey Schubert Barer Announces Washington, D.C., Attorney Appointments to Firm-Wide Executive CommitteeGSB Press Release, 1.5.07
- "Optimizing the Use of Outside Counsel for Litigation, Investigations and Regulatory Enforcement Proceedings with a Focus on the Fallout from the Ongoing Credit Market Crisis," Greater New York Chapter of the Association of Corporate CounselSeminarThe Cornell Club, New York, NY, 7.28.09
- District of Columbia, 1976
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia, 1994
Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, J.D., 1974
Cornell University, B.A., 1970