Peter Cancelmo practices in the area of corporate and securities law.
Peter represents U.S. and international clients in financial and business transactions. These include public and private securities offerings, Rule 144A placements, Regulation S offerings, PIPE transactions, tender offers, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures. A significant portion of his practice is devoted to advising corporate clients on matters arising from their status as public companies, including periodic reporting and disclosure obligations, corporate governance and securities exchange listing matters. Additionally, Peter's practice includes frequent representation of private technology companies and venture investors.
Prior to joining Garvey Schubert Barer, Peter practiced in the corporate and securities area at Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP, in Boston and in the New York office of Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg, a major Canadian law firm.
- Board Member, The First Tee of Greater Seattle, 2013-Present
- Board Member, Washington Clean Technology Alliance, 2010-2014
Represented publicly traded companies regarding continuous reporting and disclosure obligations under the Securities Act of 1934, and related federal securities laws and regulations.
Advise issuers in connection with initial and continued listing requirements of the New York Stock Exchange, NASDAQ and NYSE MKT (formerly AMEX).
Represented an NYSE-listed issuer in a proxy contest initiated by an activist investor.
Represented CohBar, Inc., a U.S. life sciences company, in its initial public offering on the TSX Venture Exchange.
Represented SCOLR Pharma, Inc. in the private placement of its senior secured convertible debentures.
Represented a TSXV-listed Canadian mining issuer with regard to U.S. securities law matters in connection with its multi-jurisdiction private placement of common stock.
Represented SCOLR Pharma, Inc. in the offering of common stock and warrant units in a structured PIPE transaction and secondary registration.
Represented a TSX-listed Canadian national retailer with regard to U.S. securities law matters in connection with its Rule 144A placement of subordinated convertible debentures.
Represented a TSX-listed manufacturer of soil products in a mezzanine financing involving the sale of convertible promissory notes to U.S.-based institutions.
Acted as Washington special counsel to Onex Partners and Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in connection with securities and credit financing transactions completed in support of the acquisition of Tomkins Ltd.
Represented LaCrosse Footwear, Inc. in connection with its acquisition by a private buyer via friendly tender offer.
Represented a special committee of the Board of Directors of ARC Wireless, a NASDAQ-listed issuer, in connection with its acquisition of an advance metals manufacturing group from a related party.
Represented InFocus Corporation in its acquisition by a private buyer via friendly tender offer.
Represented Nautilus, Inc. in the divestiture of its Pearl iZumi apparel division to Shimano Corporation.
Represented a Canadian-listed manufacturer in the acquisition of two U.S. firms for consideration consisting partially of income trust units.
Represented a NASDAQ-listed hardware manufacturer in the establishment of a joint venture with a European technology company and a related preferred stock financing.
Represented ManageIQ, Inc., a provider of enterprise cloud and virtual infrastructure management solutions, in its $105 million acquisition by Red Hat, Inc.
Represented V2Green, Inc., a grid management software provider focused on integration of electric vehicles, in its acquisition by Gridpoint, Inc.
Represented Kenwood Corporation, of Japan, in its acquisition of Zetron, Inc.
Represented a Canadian sports and entertainment firm in acquisitions of several minor-league sports franchises in the U.S.
Represented a medical equipment services firm in its sale by merger to a national healthcare facilities services provider.
Represented CohBar, Inc. in its Series B Preferred Stock Financing.
- Counsel to numerous SaaS, digital gaming, hardware, life sciences, renewable energy, and other emerging technology companies
Counsel to numerous SaaS, digital gaming, hardware, life sciences, renewable energy, and other emerging technology companies in connection with offerings of convertible promissory notes, seed equity, convertible equity and other securities optimized for early stage financing.
Represented ManageIQ, Inc. in cross-border debt and equity financing matters.
Counsel to Spiration, Inc. in its sale of Convertible Notes to a Japanese strategic partner.
Counsel to Spiration, Inc. in its Series G Preferred Stock financing.
Spin-off, reorganization and Series A financing of DayJet Technologies, Inc. (Investor Counsel).
Series A and Series B preferred stock financings of Pressplane, Inc. (Investor Counsel).
Series A preferred stock financing of RealSelf, Inc. (Investor Counsel).
Series A preferred stock financing of Atomic Moguls, Inc. (Investor Counsel).
Represented a manufacturer of licensed novelties in its majority recapitalization by a private equity sponsor.
News & Insights
- GSB Newsroom, 7.11.17
- GSB Press Release, 7.11.16
- GSB Press Release, 9.17.15
- GSB Press Release, 9.13.13
- GSB Press Release, 12.10.09
- GSB Press Release, 1.26.07
- "Securities Law and Financing the Emerging Business," 2011 Advising the Small Business Client: Legal Issues for the Emerging Business Owner Seminar, Washington State Bar Association CLESpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 9.22.11
- “Incorporation and Early Stage Finance for Growth Companies,” The Founder InstituteSpeaking EngagementGarvey Schubert Barer, Seattle, WA, 1.3.11
- "Incorporation and Early Stage Legal Issues," The Founder InstituteSpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 2.9.10
- "Politics and Your Project," Harvesting Clean Energy Conference 2010Speaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 2.8.10
- "Clean Technology Finance During the Downturn," Washington Clean Technology Alliance and Washington Technology Industry AssociationSpeaking EngagementThe Rainier Club, Seattle, WA, 1.22.09
- Garvey Schubert Barer, 10.20.11
- Washington, 2007
- Massachusetts, 2003
Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2003
- Articles Editor, Boston University Law Review
Saint Michael's College, B.A., English, magna cum laude, 2000
Honors | Recognitions
- Named by peers as one of Washington's "Rising Stars" in Super Lawyers Magazine, 2010, 2013-2018