- What We Do
- Family-Owned and Closely Held Businesses
Garvey Schubert Barer’s family-owned and closely held businesses practice group is made of strategic advisors and core practitioners who understand the intersection between law and the unique challenges of running a family business. With more than one hundred years of combined experience, our family-owned and closely held businesses practice solidifies the firm’s extensive resources and family wealth advisors across the U.S.
Family-owned businesses run across all industries and sectors, and range in size from small mom-and-pop operations to multinational corporations. Whether a business has one million dollars or one billion dollars in revenue, GSB attorneys give every client the same quality service.
Our firm has deep-rooted history with family-owned businesses. In 1982, two of the firm’s founding fathers launched a Seattle-based shipping company, which is now one of the most successful family-owned businesses in the Pacific Northwest.
Our attorneys help navigate and avoid the risks that can threaten a family business. Hazards such as intra-and intergenerational rivalries among family members, compensation disputes, breaches of fiduciary duties by family members, death and succession issues, integrating non-family members into the company structure, and difficulties in determining lines of authority. Our goal is to maintain and grow financial value while reducing friction within the family and avoiding long-term conflicts.
We pride ourselves in being responsive to our clients needs, focusing on the long-term goals, and staying ahead of the curve with the rapidly changing laws and regulations affecting family-owned businesses. Ultimately, our goal is to help our clients shape a strong business and legal infrastructure that will prosper and stand the test of time.
View Garvey Schubert Barer’s family-owned and closely held businesses blog, The Family Business Bulletin for more information.
- Estate planning/Succession planning and implementation
- Ensure the business is divided among family members as intended
- Choose the right person to wind up in charge
- Avoid family disputes
- Reduce or eliminate estate taxes
- Maximize the income tax step-up in basis upon death
- Simplify the succession process
- Business transactions
- Debt and equity financing
- Governance and entity maintenance
- Labor and employment/contracts
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Protection of intellectual property assets
- Real estate and land use
- Sales and purchases of businesses
- Tax planning
- Trusts, estates and charitable organizations
- Family and closely-held businesses
- Wealth transitions and tax planning
- Strategic planning
- Governance structures: boards of directors, advisory and family councils
- Succession planning
- Development of succession plan for senior generation maritime business to pass the business to multi-generational successive owners in a tax-effective manner, including recapitalization into voting and nonvoting shares. Effective advice for methods to compensate a family member who does not participate in the business. Process was driven in a team approach by including a family’s other trusted advisors.
- Developed corporate structure and management plan for the governance of a complex real estate development and property management family business with over 80 income producing entities and properties.
- Planned and facilitated quarterly business meetings for a family business, resulting in a greater focus on business issues, increased harmony among family members, and enhanced business planning.
News & Events
- GSB Newsroom, 11.7.18
- RAB Radio Matters Blog, 10.31.18
- GSB Listed Among World’s Leading Private Wealth Law Advisors in Chambers HNW 2018; Three Attorneys Named Notable PractitionersGSB Newsroom, 7.19.18
- GSB Newsroom, 4.18.18
- Garvey Schubert Barer Launches New Practice to Help Companies Prevent and Respond to Workplace Misconduct IssuesGSB Newsroom, 3.13.18
- GSB Newsroom, 3.5.18
- Garvey Schubert Barer Attorney Rochelle L. Haller Elected as Fellow of American College of Trust and Estate CounselGSB Newsroom, 4.10.17
- GSB Press Release, 9.6.16
- GSB’s Estate Planning, Administration & Dispute Resolution Practice Ranked Among the World’s Leading High Net Worth Advisors in the 2016 Chambers HNW GuideGSB Press Release, 6.24.16
- Family Business Bulletin, 11.8.18
- Family Business Bulletin, 10.10.18
- Family Business Bulletin, 10.11.17
- Family Business Bulletin, 2.16.17
- Family Business Bulletin, 10.13.16
- "Cash Balance Pension Plans—Maximizing Deductions While Building Your Retirement Nest Egg," 2018 OSCPA Retirement Planning ConferenceSpeaking EngagementBeaverton, OR, 11.2.18
- Co-sponsored eventSeattle, WA, 10.25.18
- Panel discussionPortland, OR, 9.27.18
- Speaking EngagementSpringfield, OR, 9.21.18
- Co-sponsored EventBellevue and Seattle, WA, 1.24.18
- “Dean's Student Circle - Leadership Presentation,” Portland State University, School of Business AdministrationSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 1.19.18
- Co-sponsored EventSeattle, WA, 10.26.17
- "Deferred & Incentive Compensation Plans for Closely Held Businesses, Taxation & Accounting Issues," 2017 OSCPA Employee Benefits ConferenceSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 10.26.17
- NYU School of Professional Studies (Matthew Bender 2017), 5.20.17
- Puget Sound Business Journal, 3.1.16
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel
Industry ContactsView Related Professionals
- Business & Corporate Finance
- Charitable and Tax-Exempt Organizations
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Transactions
- Labor, Employment and Immigration
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Real Estate
- Trusts, Estates and Charitable Organizations
- Workplace Misconduct