Most lawsuits are resolved before trial. But by the time this happens, the cost and disruption to the parties can be substantial. It is far less expensive and disruptive to resolve disputes through alternative dispute resolution (ADR), which is why Garvey Schubert Barer offers a broad base of legal talent skilled in resolving disputes outside the courtroom. The two most common forms of ADR are mediation and arbitration.
A good indicator of the depth of our ADR practice is the impressive list of credentials our attorneys bring to this practice. For example, our lawyers have served as
- Chairman, American Academy of Alternative Dispute Resolution, Litigation Counsel of America
- Deputy Legal Advisor to the U.S. State Department responsible for the establishment of the Iran–United States Claims Tribunal at the Hague
- Adjunct Professor, International Commercial Arbitration, Georgetown University Law Center
- Consultant for political risk insurer in Argentine expropriation cases
- Member of Washington State Bar Association task force that reviewed and commented on the Uniform Mediation Act and the Revised Uniform Arbitration Act
- Member of the Oregon State Bar Alternative Dispute Resolution Section Executive Board
- Adjunct Professor, Conflict and Dispute Resolution, University of Oregon School of Law
- Member, Oregon Governor's Steering Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Moderator of a panel presentation on ADR in property tax disputes at the 25th Annual Conference of the Institute for Professionals in Taxation in Nashville, Tennessee
- Fulbright grantee at Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia, in international dispute resolution
- Panel member of mediators for Supreme Court of the State of New York, New York County
The mediation process brings parties together before a "neutral." This person has special training to facilitate productive discussions aimed at reaching a settlement. In recent years, our firm's ADR lawyers have achieved exceptional results for mediation clients across a broad range of legal areas. These include business and personal injury cases, labor and employment disputes, tax matters, and more than 100 condemnation cases. In addition, Garvey Schubert Barer's attorneys serve as mediators for the prestigious American Arbitration Association.
Our ADR lawyers are also skilled in arbitration, the most common form of dispute resolution for business and commercial matters. With arbitration, the parties to a dispute refer it to one or more arbitrators whose decision, known as an award, is binding, much like a court's ruling.
Garvey Schubert Barer's lawyers act as both arbitration neutrals and advocates. As neutrals, our lawyers are members of a number of organizations providing arbitration services. These include the American Arbitration Association Advisory Council and its Employment Mediation and Arbitration and Commercial and Securities panels. In our role as advocates for arbitration clients, our firm has achieved favorable awards for a variety of clients. We recently represented or are now representing clients in arbitration proceedings involving an international class action dispute, dozens of broker-dealer disputes, an intellectual property licensing case and real estate disputes.
Consistent with Garvey Schubert Barer's commitment to ADR, we have developed a unique process known as Win². It enables parties to a filed or threatened lawsuit to assess early on whether their dispute can be resolved constructively, before they have spent substantial amounts on legal fees and their positions have hardened.
Based on a collaborative discussion model, Win² is designed to resolve most litigation within two months of a lawsuit being filed. Every dispute in which we have used Win² — more than 50 — has been resolved without significant discovery, cost or disruption to our client's operations.
Successfully represented American national in NAFTA, Chapter 11 claim against Mexico; advised major American political risk insurer regarding claims arising out of the Argentine economic crisis; helped draft international arbitration procedures for Disney EuroPark.
In product liability C-K fuel tank litigation, drafted briefs in favor of plaintiff that successfully opposed manufacturer's motions to dismiss and summary judgment.
News & Events
- GSB Newsroom, 11.19.18
- Andy Goodman Honored With Peter Perlman Service Award at Litigation Counsel of America (LCA) 2018 Fall ConferenceGSB Newsroom, 11.13.18
- Garvey Schubert Barer Welcomes Andrew G. Lukes to its Labor and Employment Practice Group in SeattleGSB Newsroom, 10.1.18
- GSB Newsroom, 10.1.18
- GSB Newsroom, 9.10.18
- GSB Newsroom, 3.12.18
- Joe Arellano Explains in the Portland Business Journal What Businesses Should Do If Expecting to Be SuedPortland Business Journal (subscription required), 10.13.17
- GSB Newsroom, 8.31.17
- GSB Newsroom, 7.11.17
- GSB Newsroom, 5.1.17
- GSB Newsroom, 3.22.17
- GSB Newsroom, 2.16.17
- GSB Press Release, 9.29.16
- GSB Press Release, 7.31.14
- GSB Press Release, 4.29.11
- "Ethics: How Do We Address Revised WSBA Opinion 2223?" King County Bar Association's Alternative Dispute Resolution ProgramSpeaking engagementSeattle, WA, 12.13.18
- "The Clouds of Oregon’s Blue Sky Law: Securities Liability Risks for Transactional Lawyers," Oregon State Bar Securities Regulation Section MeetingSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 12.19.18
- Speaking EngagementPortland, OR, 11.2.18
- Panel DiscussionPortland, OR, 3.15.17
- “The 35th Anniversary of the Formation of the Iran-U.S. Claims Tribunal, Which Spawned the World of Investment Arbitration,” International Arbitration Club of New YorkSpeaking EngagementNew York, NY, 10.24.16
- "Mindfulness for Lawyers and Judges," Access to Justice ConferenceSpeaking EngagementJune 2011
- "Civil Dispute Management," King County Bar Association and Seattle University School of LawSpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 12.4.09
- "Emerging Trends in Dispute Resolution," Washington State Bar Association Dispute Resolution SectionSpeaking EngagementWashington State Convention & Trade Center, Seattle, WA, 9.21.07
- "Dispute Resolution and Land Use - Thinking Outside the Box When Negotiating Development Agreements, Eminent Domain Acquisitions and Measure 37 Claims," Oregon State Bar Real Estate and Land Use Section Annual MeetingSpeaking EngagementThe Riverhouse, Bend, OR, 8.10.07
- "Mediation and Arbitration to Resolve Sports Disputes," Sports Lawyers Association Annual ConferenceSpeaking EngagementBoston, MA, May 1, 2007
- American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL), Attorney-Client Relationships Committee, 5.17.18
- American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL), Attorney-Client Relationships Committee, 3.12.18
- Presentation Outline: "Securities Liability for Transactional Lawyers Under Oregon’s Expansive Blue Sky Law," Oregon State Bar Securities Regulation Section EventGSB Newsroom, 12.20.17
- GSB Newsroom, 6.17
- The American College of Trial Lawyers Journal, Spring 2017
- Litigation Commentary & Review, 4.14.14
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel
- Office Managing Director and Principal
- Law Clerk