As industries consolidate and the economy struggles, businesses are under increasing pressure to become more competitive and improve margins. But overly aggressive competition by a business can spawn antitrust problems. These may prevent a business from completing a planned transaction and make it vulnerable to antitrust litigation.
Garvey Schubert Barer advises clients on antitrust issues arising out of business activities in both regulated and unregulated industries. Our counseling includes advice on how to comply with antitrust laws, how to resolve antitrust issues so transactions go forward and how to avoid behavior that could lead to litigation. When necessary, we aggressively represent clients in federal and state civil and criminal antitrust litigation as well as in investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission and state attorneys general.
Our clients include both large private companies as well as small public ones. Garvey Schubert Barer’s track record and expertise is particularly notable in the transportation sector — air, water, rail and truck — and in the health care industry. For decades, we have represented transportation clients and health care entities and our substantive knowledge of these industries is unmatched. We also represent a broad range of other industries, among them
U.S. Department of Justice Antitrust Division
Obtained non prosecution decision for client accused of violations of the Sherman Antitrust Act.
U.S. District Court, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Successfully represented water freight carrier in U.S. Department of Justice Antitrust Division prosecution for multi-million dollar conspiracy to violate the Sherman Antitrust Act.
News & Events
- 28 GSB Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 List; Two Portland Lawyers Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’GSB Newsroom, 8.15.18
- 30 GSB Attorneys Named to the 2018 The Best Lawyers in America® List; Three Lawyers Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’GSB Newsroom, 8.15.17
- GSB Newsroom, 7.11.17
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 2.13.18
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 10.6.16
- "Hot Topics in Antitrust and Intellectual Property Law," Annual Spring Meeting of the Intellectual Property Section of the American Bar AssociationSpeaking EngagementWashington, D.C., April 2006
- Keyword Restrictions - Part V: Restrictions on Using Trademarks as Keyword Search Terms: Why All The Griping?6.1.18
- Keyword Restrictions - Part II: Complaints Based on the 1-800 Contacts Case: Visionary or Near Sighted5.4.18
- Keyword Restrictions - Part I: Restrictions on Keyword Advertising by OTAs: What Exactly Is the Problem?4.20.18
- Garvey Schubert Barer, 10.6.16
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel