- What We Do
- Election and Political Law, Public Policy and Lobbying
Election and Political Law
GSB assists clients on a full range of issues related to "political" law such as federal and state election law, government ethics requirements, lobbying and foreign agent registration, and foreign investment reporting. We counsel clients on compliance with these laws, represent clients when they are facing problems and advocate their interests before government agencies throughout the country.
Our clients include a number of political committees, including a presidential campaign committee, corporations (both US and foreign), as well as politically active individuals. The practice is led by attorneys with prior experience as senior staff at the Federal Election Commission, the Federal Communications Commission, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Defense and the United States Congress.
Public Policy and Lobbying
GSB helps clients initiate and strengthen their relationships with Congress and federal agencies on legislative and policy matters. By combining traditional legal skills with our extensive knowledge of the legislative process, we help clients create and implement effective, achievable legislative strategies, and, when appropriate, lobby decision-makers to achieve our clients' objectives. Our clients include foreign governments, local municipalities, prominent media and energy companies, trade associations, Native American tribes and industry coalitions.
Our lawyers have extensive prior service inside government — as senior staff to members of Congress and congressional committees and as political appointees in federal departments and agencies. We have experience working with key congressional committees and dozens of federal departments and agencies.
GSB develops strategies that range from real-time, in-depth analysis of political developments to intervention through lobbying, administrative proceedings, litigation, public relations, coalition building and targeted communications to decision-makers.
We Are Problem Solvers
Our lawyers are practical problem-solvers who work within our clients' budgets to meet their strategic objectives. We provide clients with critical information and insight, analyze their options and recommend realistic courses of action. We take a multidisciplinary approach to a client's situation — examining the legal, business, political, investment and competitive aspects of the problem. We also tap into our extensive network of outside experts to maximize efficiency and to provide our clients with the best result possible.
Garvey Schubert Barer has an active political presence in Washington, D.C. but our lawyers draw on substantive industry-specific expertise throughout the firm. Our track record demonstrates that our firm has the experience, know-how and relationships to accomplish our clients’ objectives.
- Representation of client in Robert Mueller’s Russia probe and related trial involving ex-Trump campaign manager
Representing client in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election and in the related trial of Paul Manafort on bank fraud and tax charges.
Advised on formation of national, state, and local political party committees.
Currently representing the campaign committee of former presidential candidate on campaign finance and other political law issues.
Currently representing multiple non-profit entities in connection with nationwide local, state, and federal campaign finance and political law issues.
- Representation of campaign-finance oversight group seeking to prohibit superPACs from receiving unlimited contributions
Currently representing campaign-finance oversight group in federal lawsuit against Federal Election Commission seeking to enforce federal statute that prohibits superPACs from receiving unlimited contributions.
- Representation of publicly traded company relating to advice about campaign finance and lobbying laws
Currently representing major publicly traded company concerning state and federal campaign finance, lobbying, and other political law compliance advice.
Retained to provide campaign-finance advice to candidate for state governor.
Represented presidential campaign in litigation against party’s governing body, requesting fair and equitable treatment under contract administering voter file database.
Represented group of 17-year-old voters, who would be 18 at the time of the general election, in lawsuit to enjoin repeal of their right to vote in related primary contests.
News & Events
- Bloomberg Law - Big Law Business, 7.16.19
- Dan Petalas Quoted About Recent FEC Decision on Discounted Cybersecurity Services in Political CampaignsKrebs on Security, 7.11.19
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The New York Times About Election Rules Limiting Cybersecurity Assistance for Federal CandidatesThe New York Times, 6.6.19
- Free Speech for People and Legal Team of GSB Lawyers and Contributors Spearhead Potentially Transformative Campaign Finance LitigationGSB Newsroom, 5.17.19
- Sarah Carlin Ames Appeared on KGW ‘Straight Talk’ to Discuss the City Club’s Recommendations to Make Portland’s City Government More EquitableKGW, 3.16.19
- Sarah Carlin Ames Featured on OPB’s ‘Think Out Loud’ to Discuss City Club Research Report on Portland’s Commission Form of GovernmentOregon Public Broadcasting (OPB), 2.11.19
- Melodie Virtue Quoted in Communications Daily About Proposed Rule Changes to NCE and LPFM Application ProcessCommunications Daily, 1.14.19
- ABC News, 1.10.19
- BEA Thought Leadership Series (BEATLS), 1.7.19
- GSB Newsroom, 1.2.19
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Associated Press About False Statements Made By Ex-Trump Advisors Regarding Russian ContactsThe Associated Press, 12.1.18
- RAB Radio Matters Blog, 10.31.18
- Newsy, 9.24.18
- Dan Petalas Featured in Newsy Video Interview to Discuss President Trump's Mounting Legal Troubles Resulting from Cohen Guilty PleaNewsy, 8.22.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Associated Press About Implications of Cohen Plea Agreement for President TrumpThe Associated Press, 8.22.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Associated Press About President Trump's Alleged Wrongdoing Stemming from Cohen PleaThe Associated Press, 8.22.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The New York Times on the 'Colorful' Events and Recent Allegations Involving President TrumpThe New York Times, 8.22.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted by the Associated Press About Secret Audio Recording of President Trump and His Former LawyerAssociated Press, 7.26.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Washington Post About SCOTUS Nominee Kavanaugh's Decision Involving Role of Foreign Nationals in U.S. ElectionsThe Washington Post, 7.20.18
- The Associated Press, 4.5.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Center for Public Integrity on Likelihood of FEC Investigation Into President Trump's Payment to Adult-Film ActressThe Center for Public Integrity, 3.30.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Washington Post About Cambridge Analytica's Alleged Involvement in Trump CampaignThe Washington Post, 3.21.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted by The Associated Press About Issues in Corruption Case Against Former U.S. CongressmanThe Associated Press, 2.28.18
- Dan Petalas Interviewed on CBS KNX 1070 to Discuss Significance of Rick Gates' Plea to Special Counsel’s Investigation into Russian Influence in 2016 Presidential ElectionCBS KNX 1070 NEWSRADIO, 2.23.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted in Reuters About Social Media Platforms Amping up Scrutiny Measures to Prevent Tampering in U.S. ElectionsReuters, 2.16.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Center for Public Integrity and Salon on Investigation Into PAC's Solicitation and Spending PracticesThe Center for Public Integrity / Salon, 2.12.18
- The Washington Post, 2.7.18
- The New York Times, 2.4.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Associated Press About DOJ Decision to Retry Sen. Robert Menendez and Salomon MelgenThe Associated Press, 1.19.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Center for Public Integrity on Political Committees' Non-Compliance in Paying FEC FinesThe Center for Public Integrity, 10.30.17
- The Toronto Star, 10.30.17
- The Small Market Radio Podcast, 10.23.17
- Erwin Krasnow Was Quoted in The Washington Post About the FCC's Authority in Revoking a Station's Broadcast LicenseThe Washington Post, 10.11.17
- GSB Publishes Updated, Free Handbook for Radio Industry Executives on Managing Political AdvertisingGSB Newsroom, 9.6.17
- The Toronto Star, 6.13.17
- USA Today, 6.8.17
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Washington Post Concerning the Use of Campaign Funds to Pay the Personal Legal Expenses of the PresidentThe Washington Post, 5.22.17
- Dan Petalas Discusses Appointment of Special Counsel Robert Mueller III Who Serves in the Investigation of the President for Possible Obstruction of JusticeKNX 1070 Newsradio, 5.18.17
- Dan Petalas Was Quoted in The Washington Post Concerning the Challenges Inherent in an Obstruction ProsecutionThe Washington Post, 5.17.17
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Washington Post Regarding Payments the Trump Campaign Made to a Business Associate of Former National Security AdvisorThe Washington Post, 5.4.17
- Dan Petalas Discusses Law of Immunity From Prosecution Regarding Potential Congressional Testimony of Former National Security Advisor Michael FlynnKNX 1070 Newsradio, 3.31.17
- Dan Petalas Quoted in Mother Jones Concerning the Possible Personal Use of Campaign Funds by Deputy National Security Advisor K.T. McFarlandMother Jones, 3.16.17
- Dan Petalas Provides Insights on Possible Congressional Oversight Hearings of Federal Election Commission in The Center for Public IntegrityThe Center for Public Integrity, 3.13.17
- The Washington Post, 2.19.17
- Dan Petalas Quoted in OpenSecrets.Org on Increase of Lobbying and Political Spending of Large Tech Companies After Going PublicOpenSecrets.org, 1.6.17
- Time, 12.15.16
- Dan Petalas Comments in Boston Globe Article About Multiple Federal Investigations into Law Firm’s Political DonationsBoston Globe, 11.16.16
- The Washington Post, 11.4.16
- The Boston Globe, 10.29.16
- Washington Post, 10.10.16
- The Washington Post, 9.20.16
- Bloomberg BNA Quotes Dan Petalas on Federal Court Ruling That Faulted FEC for Failure to Enforce Disclosure on NonprofitsBloomberg BNA, 9.19.16
- GSB Press Release, 9.6.16
- The American Lawyer (subscription required), 4.19.16
- Radio and Television Business Report, 9.3.14
- GSB Press Release, 7.30.14
- Panel DiscussionSan Diego, CA, 6.20.19
- Panel DiscussionSan Diego, CA, 6.19.19
- Speaking EngagementLas Vegas, NV, 4.5.19
- "Legal Updates (a/k/a 'Larry and Brad's Stuff')," 2019 NETA Conference & CPB Public Media Thought Leader ForumSpeaking EngagementSalt Lake City, UT, 1.23.19
- Panel PresentationWashington, D.C., 6.8.18
- “How to Keep Your Campaign Legal,” Progressive Change Campaign Committee - National Candidate TrainingSpeaking EngagementWashington, D.C., 4.15.18
- "2018 Election Issues for Public Broadcasters," National Educational Telecommunications Association (NETA) WebinarWebinar4.5.18
- "Foreign Interference in the 2016 Elections: The Vulnerabilities of the Law Exposed," Campaign Legal Center EventPanel DiscussionWashington, D.C., 10.12.17
- Speaking EngagementWeb Conference, 12.8.10
- "Environmental Policy and Regulatory Update – Energy and Climate Change Legislation, EPA Rulemaking and More," U.S. Conference of Mayors, Municipal Waste Management Association Fall SummitSpeaking EngagementBaltimore, MD, 10.1.10
- American Bar Association, Section of International Law - Art & Cultural Heritage Law Newsletter, Winter 2018
- Campaign Legal Center, 1.31.18
- MLRC Employment Libel and Privacy Law 50-State Survey, 2018 Edition, 11.17
- Radio & Television Business Report (subscription required), 3.27.17
- Radio & Television Business Report (subscription required), 3.5.17
- Office Managing Director and Principal
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel