Our Federal Tax lawyers help clients successfully navigate federal tax laws, advising them on myriad issues including minimizing tax burdens, compliance, and transactional tax planning and structuring. We deliver a full range of tax-related services to clients, backed by decades of experience.
Transactional Tax Planning
Our lawyers help business clients plan for, identify and resolve tax issues arising in mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, recapitalizations, real estate and other transactions. We assist new businesses to select a tax-appropriate legal structure.
Tax Controversies: Audits, Appeals and Litigation
Garvey Schubert Barer tax attorneys have a strong track record and decades of experience to back up advising and defending clients in tax controversies. We represent clients in income tax, employment tax, and estate and gift tax examinations, appeals and litigation. Our attorneys also provide legal support to CPAs and tax return preparers during examinations and appeals.
Criminal Tax Litigation
Our lawyers represent taxpayers being investigated or prosecuted in criminal tax matters, which may include charges of tax evasion, failure to file returns and reports, or filing false returns and reports.
Bankruptcy and Taxes
Bankruptcy proceedings have significant tax implications to debtors and creditors. We advise debtors, creditors and potential third-party investors on federal tax issues arising out of bankruptcy or debt restructuring. In addition, we help clients negotiate disputes with taxing authorities over the priority of tax liabilities.
Estate and Gift Tax Planning and Succession Planning for Family-Owned Businesses
We offer clients an array of estate-planning services from straightforward planning to structuring highly complex estate plans. We advise clients on gift planning, generation-skipping transfer tax planning, the use and creation of living trusts, family limited partnerships, durable powers of attorney and property transfer agreements.
Our lawyers help family-owned businesses plan for the transfer of control from one generation to the next, employing such planning tools as irrevocable trusts funded with life insurance to finance estate tax obligations. For more information, see the description of our Estate Planning and Probate practice on our Web site.
Employee Benefit Plans
We design and qualify a variety of retirement plans, including traditional defined benefit plans, cash balance plans, profit-sharing plans, 401(k) plans and other employee benefit arrangements. We also advise clients on the day-to-day administration of plans, and help them prepare reports and returns. Additionally, we represent them in disputes involving the duties of fiduciaries and the rights of participants and beneficiaries. For more information, see the description of our Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation practice on our Web site.
Our tax-exempt clients include healthcare providers, educational institutions and other nonprofit organizations. We help our clients obtain and maintain tax-exempt status. In addition, we offer advice on structuring joint ventures, characterizing income and obtaining tax-exempt financing. For more information, see the description of our Charitable and Tax-Exempt Organizations practice on our Web site.
News & Events
- GSB Newsroom, 3.5.18
- Inc., 5.19.17
- Portland Business Journal (subscription required), 4.20.17
- GSB Newsroom, 3.22.17
- Newly Proposed IRS Regulations Put a Monkey Wrench in Plans by Service Businesses Seeking IRC § 199A DeductionLarry's Tax Law, 8.8.18
- New York AG Declares That Her State ‘Will Not Be Bullied’ – New York and Three Other States File Lawsuit Attacking TCJA Provision That Limits SALT Deduction to $10,000Larry's Tax Law, 7.17.18
- Larry's Tax Law, 4.26.18
- Larry's Tax Law, 4.6.18
- Decoding the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act – Part VIII: Charitable and Tax-Exempt Organizations / Estate and Gift TaxesLarry's Tax Law, 3.27.18
- Decoding the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act – Part VII: Family Matters and Major Events in the Lives of IndividualsLarry's Tax Law, 3.8.18
- Larry's Tax Law, 2.27.18
- Decoding the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act – Part V: Changes to IRC §163(j) and the Business Interest Deduction RulesLarry's Tax Law, 2.6.18
- Decoding the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act – Part IV: The IRC § 199A Deduction for Qualified Business Income—the Devil Is in the Details and the Definitions!Larry's Tax Law, 1.29.18
- Decoding the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act – Part I: Obscure Provision in New Tax Law Denies Deductions for Sexual Harassment Settlements Subject to Nondisclosure AgreementsLarry's Tax Law, 1.4.18
- Larry's Tax Law, 9.26.17
- The Estate of George H. Bartell et. al. v. Commissioner – IRS Issues an Action on Decision – Was It Too Good to Be True? The IRS Thinks So!Larry's Tax Law, 8.29.17
- Who Says There Is No Such Thing as a Free Lunch? -- the US Tax Court in Jacobs v. Commissioner Ruled That There May Be Such a Thing!Larry's Tax Law, 7.5.17
- Larry's Tax Law, 6.22.17
- Larry's Tax Law, 6.16.17
- Larry's Tax Law, 6.15.17
- Larry's Tax Law, 5.19.17
- Larry's Tax Law, 5.3.17
- Larry's Tax Law, 4.26.17
- Larry's Tax Law, 4.11.17
- Form Over Substance Sometimes Prevails in Tax Law – Estate of George H. Bartell et. al. v. CommissionerLarry's Tax Law, 3.8.17
- Larry's Tax Law, 6.9.16
- "S Corporation Distributions – The Ins and Outs," New York University 77th Institute on Federal TaxationSpeaking engagementNew York, NY, 10.21.18-10.26.18
- "Developments in the World of IRC Section 1031 Exchanges, including the Impact of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act," IRS Tax Practitioners ForumSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 10.31.18
- Speaking EngagementPortland, OR, 11.5.18
- "The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act – What It May Mean to Your Clients," Estate Planning Council of Portland Mini-SeminarSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 11.7.18
- "What a Family Law Practitioner Needs to Know About the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act," Clackamas County Bar Association Fall ConferenceSpeaking EngagementOregon City, OR, 11.8.18
- "S Corporation Distributions – The Ins and Outs," New York University 77th Institute on Federal TaxationSpeaking EngagementSan Diego, CA, 11.11.18-11.16.18
- "Evaluating the Built-in Gains Tax for C to S Conversions After TCJA," New York University Tax Conferences in July – Advanced Conference on Subchapter SSpeaking EngagementNew York, NY, 7.26.18
- "Developments in the World of IRC Section 1031 Exchanges Including the TCJA," Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants (OSCPA) Forest Products ConferenceSpeaking EngagementEugene, OR, 6.22.18
- "What Family Law Practitioners Need to Know About the New Tax Laws," American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers 9th Bi-Annual Continuing Legal Education ProgramSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 4.20.18
- "Tax Reform and What It May Mean for You & Your Business," Multi-housing Laundry Association (MLA) 2018 Spring Educational ConferenceSpeaking EngagementPalm Beach, FL, 4.14.18
- "Worker Classification: Looking Through the Lens of Federal, State and Local Law," Willamette Law Review Tax SymposiumSpeaking EngagementSalem, OR, 2.2.18
- “Dean's Student Circle - Leadership Presentation,” Portland State University, School of Business AdministrationSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 1.19.18
- Speaking EngagementSan Francisco, CA, 11.16.17
- Speaking EngagementNew York, NY, 10.26.17
- Speaking EngagementPortland, OR, 9.8.17
- "Tax Considerations for Foreign Investment in the United States," Hawaii Association of Public AccountantsSpeaking EngagementMaui, HI, 6.13.14
- "Working with Financial, Tax, and Legal Advisors," Nichibei Women's NetworkSpeaking EngagementIssaquah, WA, 6.14.08
- Employer-Owned Life Insurance Rules May Unintentionally 'Clean Up' More Than Just Wal-Mart 'Janitor Policies'1.1.09
- Failure of IRC §1031 Exchange Qualified Intermediary Highlights Risks and Is a Reminder of the Importance of Due Diligence When Selecting a Qualified Intermediary12.22.08
- New 'Bailout' Law Bails Out More than Just Financial Institutions - More Likely Than Not Standard for Tax Return Preparers is Replaced by Substantial Authority Standard10.7.08
- State Tax Notes (Volume 89, Number 5), 7.30.18
- Practising Law Institute, Corporate Tax Practice Series, Volume 9, Chapter 120C (2017), June 2018
- Portland Business Journal, 4.6.18
- NYU School of Professional Studies, 5.20.17
- State Tax Notes, 2.27.17
- Failures of IRC §1031 Exchange Qualified Intermediaries Highlight Risks and the Importance of Due Diligence When Selecting a Qualified IntermediaryThe Oregon Certified Public Accountant, 3.1.09
- The Oregon Certified Public Accountant, 7.1.07