- What We Do
- Intellectual Property
GSB’s attorneys help to simplify the process involved in the protection, exploitation and disposition of intellectual property so that clients can maximize the value of their intellectual property assets.
For decades we have represented clients on intellectual property matters involving:
- Portfolio acquisitions
- Trade secrets
- False advertising
- Patent disputes
- Emerging technologies
Our attorneys counsel clients on copyright and trademark registration, including registering copyrights with the U.S. Copyright Office, as well as advising on the permissible use of copyrighted material. We also represent clients in opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Additionally, we both enforce and defend our clients’ intellectual property rights, including matters involving copyright protection, infringement claims and domain names.
We frequently advise on the intellectual property issues related to mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other commercial transactions.
Worked with online retail company to recover its valuable domain name from a hijacker through ICANN’s Inter-Registrar Transfer Dispute Resolution Policy (TDRP) complaint procedure.
Assisted major beer company in filing a successful letter of protest with the Deputy Commissioner of the United States Patent and Trademark Office regarding an application for a confusingly similar trademark.
Obtained a landmark ruling from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit that the academic speech of a university professor, which is part of his official job duties, is protected by the First Amendment. Demers v. Austin, 729 F. 3d 1011 (9th Cir. 2013)
- Obtained partial summary judgment against the Seattle Police Department for public records act violations
Obtained partial summary judgment against the Seattle Police Department for public records act violations regarding requests for the database of dash-cam videos and the videos. KOMO v. SPD, King County SuperiorCourt (2012), appeal pending at the Washington Supreme Court (2013)
Online inventory distribution agreements with major European online travel agents, such as GTA and Booking.com.
Represent international sport association in obtaining trademark protection for trademarks in Asia and South America.
Represented Canadian household goods retailer in negotiations for point of sale system.
Represented CEO in negotiations of employment agreement with major Chinese manufacturer of solar cells.
Represented Chinese fabrication company in licensing patents from US manufacturer.
Represented developer of liquid cooling technology in licensing technology for use in server farms and military equipment.
Represented developer of medical billing and EHR software in license transactions with laboratories and hospitals.
Represented exercise equipment manufacturer in developing Chinese joint venture and technology transfer issues.
Represented foreign manufacturer in negotiation manufacturing agreement for alternative mouse design with major software company.
Represented foreign manufacturer in negotiation of manufacturing agreement for alternative mouse design with major software company.
Represented founder and member of internationally known rock bands in negotiation business arrangements for on-line music service and promotion business.
- Represented genetic testing laboratory in negotiating services agreements with various hospitals and laboratories
Represented genetic testing laboratory in negotiating services agreements with various hospitals and laboratories and developing licensing regime for proprietary software product.
Represented international sports figures in recovering domain names using their names.
Represented Israeli software and hardware developer in negotiations to license controller-free gaming device technology to a major US software company.
- Represented laboratories, hospitals, major shoe and sporting goods manufacturer, and international household appliance retailer in negotiating licenses for various software systems
Represented laboratories, hospitals, major shoe and sporting goods manufacturer, and international household appliance retailer in negotiating licenses for various software systems including EHR solutions, document management and inventory control systems.
Represented major construction company in responding to obligations under multi-state data breach laws.
Represented museums in connection with exhibitions of artworks by internationally known artists.
- Represented owner of chip design and software in license negotiations with a major software manufacturer
Represented owner of chip design and software in license negotiations with a major software manufacturer for use of the technology in an entertainment platform and portable media player.
Represented owner of embedded operating systems in negotiations with major cellular phone and chip manufacturer.
Represented owner of secure USB technology in negotiating agreements licensing technology to major USB manufacturers.
Represented ship building company in negotiations with Canadian engineering company for design/development of hybrid vessels.
Represented shipbuilder in development of joint development agreement for design and manufacture of hybrid vessels.
Represented ski manufacturer in joint development agreement with Japanese ski binding manufacturer.
Represented software and hardware developer in negotiations with major retail chains for consumer facing kiosk products and virtual jukebox technologies.
Represented tribal entities in licensing technology and protecting their trademarks and domain names.
Represented university faculty members and spin out companies in negotiating terms of tech transfer agreements.
Represented US chip manufacturer in license negotiations with Japanese equipment manufacturer.
Represented US game companies in negotiations with distributors and publishers in France, Russia, and Germany.
Represented US software company in developing export control policy.
Represented various local, national and international game companies (console, casual, mobile, mmog, pc, etc.) in negotiations with publishers and distributors, including EA, Sony, Disney, Real, Microsoft, Fox, Valve, Big Fish, Warner, T-Mobile, Sprint, Motorola, Qualcomm, Simon and Schuster, Scholastic, etc.
- Represented various software companies in review of open source obligations and development of strategy
Represented various software companies in review of open source obligations and development of strategy for use of open source software.
Represented video display manufacturer in negotiations to establish distribution arrangements in Brazil.
Represented video game companies in Australia, Europe and Canada in negotiations with US and foreign publishers and distributors.
Represented video game company in negotiations to license game rights to international company involved in gaming.
Represented website portal in developing privacy policies to comply with EU privacy and data requirements.
Helped a 501(c)(3) organization defend its service mark against infringement by a large New York City restaurant conglomerate. Facilitated a pre-answer settlement terminating the infringement and recovering payment to the client.
Counseled client regarding patent rights ownership and license rights for evaluation software and tool for environmental building evaluations.
Litigated copyright infringement claims from author of best seller on behalf of book publisher to successful resolution.
Obtained worldwide festival license for right to use musical recording in an independent movie.
Strategized with education client to build up family of trademarks and strengthen brand and trademark rights.
Successfully dismissed or resolved trademark infringement claims and patent infringement claims against apparel industry client.
Successfully navigated close trademark registration issues, including likelihood of confusion, merely descriptive, and primarily merely a surname initial rejections from the US Trademark Office for a variety of clients.
Successfully negotiated a trademark co-existence agreement between two Washington State Indian tribes.
Successfully resolved by settlement agreement disputes regarding ownership of product design rights and royalties for furniture designer.
Successfully resolved cease and desist demands against airport parking client for trademark issues.
News & Events
- GSB Newsroom, 3.25.19
- GSB Newsroom, 11.19.18
- GSB Newsroom, 11.7.18
- 28 GSB Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 List; Two Portland Lawyers Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’GSB Newsroom, 8.15.18
- GSB Newsroom, 7.24.18
- GSB Newsroom, 5.3.18
- GSB Newsroom, 4.18.18
- GSB Newsroom, 7.11.17
- Garvey Schubert Barer Ranked Among Leading U.S. Firms in Chambers USA 2017 Guide; Four Practices and 12 Lawyers FeaturedGSB Newsroom, 5.26.17
- Resolution of Copyright Circuit Split in Favor of “Registration” Approach: Fourth Estate Public Benefit Corp. v. Wall-Street.Com, LLCSports & Entertainment Beat, 4.18.19
- Cannabis Business Blog, 11.15.18
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 10.24.18
- Possible Resolution for Circuit Split on Copyright Issue? U.S. Supreme Court Accepts Cert on Fourth Estate Public Benefit Corp. v. Wall-Street.com LLCSports & Entertainment Beat, 7.16.18
- The New BE-120: Mandatory Reporting of Foreign Transactions in Services and Intellectual Property – Upcoming June 29, 2018 DeadlineCross Border Business Law Blog, 6.22.18
- Sports & Entertainment Beat, 8.29.17
- Cannabis Business Blog, 3.22.17
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 3.7.17
- Sports & Entertainment Beat, 11.2.16
- Panel DiscussionAtlanta, GA, 10.25.18
- Panel PresentationWashington, D.C., 8.15.17
- EventSeattle, WA, 2.7.17
- Resolution of Copyright Circuit Split in Favor of “Registration” Approach: Fourth Estate Public Benefit Corp. v. Wall-Street.Com, LLC4.2.19
- In Recent Amicus Brief, ABA Urges Supreme Court to Allow Faster Filing of Copyright Infringement Suits9.17.18
- Possible Resolution for Circuit Split on Copyright Issue? U.S. Supreme Court Accepts Cert on Fourth Estate Public Benefit Corp. v. Wall-Street.com LLC7.9.18
- New Rules Regarding Designation of Copyright Agent1.17
- Time to Contemplate Trademark Registration in Cuba?3.15
- GSB's Blog Post "Hotels and Consumers Making Headway in Anti-Room Poaching Battle" Featured in HospitalityLawyer.comHospitalityLawyer.com's Converge Blog, 5.29.18
- HOTEL Yearbook 2017, 3.7.17
- Garvey Schubert Barer, January 2017
- Staff Attorney
- Of Counsel