- What We Do
Garvey Schubert Barer has had a sophisticated international practice since the early 1970s. In 1973 we were one of the first U.S. law firms to place an attorney in Japan. In 1979 our firm’s attorneys helped negotiate the reopening of shipping relations between the United States and the People's Republic of China after a hiatus of nearly 30 years. Since the 1980s we have represented the Canadian federal and provincial governments before the U.S. Supreme Court and the federal appellate courts litigation involving transboundary environmental and natural resource issues. Today our clients and attorneys continue to work at the forefront of expanding Pacific Rim trade and investment, including opportunities for our clients in the markets of China, Japan and Canada.
We represent clients coming from or going to countries in Asia, Europe, South America, Africa, Oceania and the Middle East as well as our neighbors in North America. Our international team helps our clients achieve their cross-border objectives through a wide array of services and in a number of diverse industries. We combine legal skills, personal relationships, language abilities and cultural understanding to address legal issues and provide practical solutions for our clients. The firm's language capabilities include Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Korean, French, and Spanish. Since many of our attorneys have lived and worked overseas, including in various Pacific Rim countries, we have a deep appreciation of the cultural context in which business is conducted and the associated legal requirements.
We have over 40 years of experience dealing with the unique challenges faced by enterprises engaging in cross-border activities and individuals seeking to live and work abroad. The experience and capabilities of our international practice team spans the types of legal and tax services our clients need – from the start-up phase to successful conclusion, and all stages in between.
Garvey Schubert Barer is a member of Globalaw, a worldwide network of over 100 independent law firms with over 4,500 lawyers in 160 cities. The firm also enjoys long-standing relationships with numerous well-established law firms in Japan, Canada, European, and major financial centers throughout the world. Our lawyers are active in international bar associations, which keep us abreast of important legal developments in significant foreign jurisdictions.
Successfully represented American national in NAFTA, Chapter 11 claim against Mexico; advised major American political risk insurer regarding claims arising out of the Argentine economic crisis; helped draft international arbitration procedures for Disney EuroPark.
Successfully assisted client claiming paintings from Dutch government that were seized by Nazis during WWII; represented heir of prominent German photographer in trans-national cultural estate matter recovering vintage photographs and compensation; represented antiquities dealers in CCPIA proceedings before U.S. State Department.
Assisted U.S. satellite manufacturer in criminal and Congressional investigations arising out of China launch failure investigation (export control/ITAR issues); advised numerous U.S. and foreign clients on investment in U.S. defense and aerospace companies (Exon-florio and FOCI issues); served on Board of Directors of Japanese –owned aerospace company operating under special FOCI controls.
Expert testimony on FSIA expropriation exception in Mezerhane v. Republica Bolivariana de Venezuela (S.D. Florida 2013); Established the treaty exception to the federal act of state doctrine in Kalamazoo Spice Extraction Co. v The Provisional Military Government of Socialist Ethiopia, 729 F. 2d 22 (6Cir. 1984); provided expert testimony for oil service companies in tax court proceedings relating to Iran Hostage Crisis; represented South African energy company in State Department administrative proceedings implementing trade restrictions under the Anti-Apartheid Act.
Regularly renders U.S. tax opinions to foreign governments investing pension funds in U.S. corporations, start-up enterprises and real estate located in the United States.
News & Events
- GSB Newsroom, 12.17.18
- 28 GSB Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 List; Two Portland Lawyers Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’GSB Newsroom, 8.15.18
- GSB Newsroom, 3.5.18
- 30 GSB Attorneys Named to the 2018 The Best Lawyers in America® List; Three Lawyers Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’GSB Newsroom, 8.15.17
- GSB Press Release, 8.15.16
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 12.28.18
- New U.S. Law on Foreign Investment Further Complicates Future Chinese Investments in the United StatesCross Border Business Law Blog, 8.13.18
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 2.13.18
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 12.28.17
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 6.7.17
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 1.26.17
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 1.17.17
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 9.29.16
- "US-China Women's Leadership Forum: Professional Growth Advice for Attorneys," Washington State China Relations CouncilPanel discussionSeattle, 1.9.19
- Panel discussionSeattle, WA, 11.12.18
- "Structuring and Protecting Business Investments in the United States," (for Asian investors), Globalaw Annual Members Meeting 2018Panel discussionDallas, TX, 10.24-27, 2018
- "International Estate Planning Q&A," Santa Clara University School of Law's 14th Annual Jerry A. Kasner Estate Planning SymposiumSpeaking engagementSanta Clara, CA, 10.4-10.5, 2018
- Speaking engagementPortland, OR, 6.15.18
- “The 35th Anniversary of the Formation of the Iran-U.S. Claims Tribunal, Which Spawned the World of Investment Arbitration,” International Arbitration Club of New YorkSpeaking EngagementNew York, NY, 10.24.16
Gregg Rodgers, Immigration Attorney at Garvey Schubert Barer, discusses the Intracompany Transferee visa. This visa makes it possible for two related business entities to transfer executives, managers, and people with specialized knowledge into the U.S. for a total of up to five years.
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel
- Staff Attorney
- Office Managing Director and Principal