Our tax and benefits group has considerable experience dealing with the tax consequences of business and investment transactions that cross international borders. Garvey Schubert Barer attorneys are actively involved in advising U.S. and foreign companies on structuring their business activities so as to minimize foreign taxation and take advantage of available U.S. tax benefits. Our tax and benefits lawyers regularly advise clients on the tax consequences of mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures whether located within or outside of the United States, and posting employees abroad.
Expert testimony on FSIA expropriation exception in Mezerhane v. Republica Bolivariana de Venezuela (S.D. Florida 2013); Established the treaty exception to the federal act of state doctrine in Kalamazoo Spice Extraction Co. v The Provisional Military Government of Socialist Ethiopia, 729 F. 2d 22 (6Cir. 1984); provided expert testimony for oil service companies in tax court proceedings relating to Iran Hostage Crisis; represented South African energy company in State Department administrative proceedings implementing trade restrictions under the Anti-Apartheid Act.
News & Events
- Law360, 10.5.18
- GSB Newsroom, 5.3.18
- GSB Newsroom, 3.22.17
- GSB Press Release, 8.15.16
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 7.13.17
- "Recent Developments Concerning US Income Tax Treaties," Washington Society of CPAs International Tax ConferenceSpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 5.5.14
- SeminarGarvey Schubert Barer, Seattle, WA, 9.18.12
- FATCA in Canada: Analyzing the Canadian Implementing Legislation’s Restriction on the Class of Entities Subject to FATCA62:3 Canadian Tax Journal 587 (2014), 2014
- Leaked and Buried – Canada Puts FATCA Deal at Risk2014 WTD 63-3, 4.2.14