Garvey Schubert Barer has long had an active M&A practice, both domestic and international, and across many industries from fishing and maritime, to clean technology, to services, to consumer goods. We take a team-oriented approach to M&A work, which frequently demands solutions across multiple legal areas, such as antitrust issues, bankruptcy and creditors’ rights, employee benefits, environmental policies, intellectual property, government relations, labor and employment, litigation, securities and tax. As a multipractice firm, Garvey Schubert Barer has experienced lawyers to provide the comprehensive services clients expect of their attorneys. However, as a lean, mid-sized firm, we coordinate these efforts more efficiently than some larger competitors, saving clients time and money.
We provide practical M&A advice, helping our clients consider legal matters as part of a larger business decision. Too often, attorneys jeopardize transactions with tangential legal issues that pose little risk to the client. We identify and quantify legal risks posed by a transaction, then let clients apply their business judgment and risk tolerance to make the ultimate decisions about the transaction.
Represents a serial real estate investor on acquisitions of multi-unit residential properties throughout metropolitan Denver and the surrounding suburbs.
Represented two affiliated Portland Rose Quarter auto dealerships in the sale of their assets and real estate, helping to optimize the clients’ outcome amid unforeseen issues and protracted negotiations.
Represented Wentworth entities in the sale of a centrally-located Portland dealership owned by the family for multiple generations, while helping to achieve the clients’ goal of retaining post-closing ownership of certain ancillary real estate. The transaction involved negotiating complex deal terms and navigating manufacturer issues and buyer diligence issues.
Represented a private equity firm in investing in an Oregon-based company that creates and internationally sells luxury pocket knives, men’s jewelry, and accessories, helping client with dynamic deal structure and negotiations while closing on a fast track.
Ongoing representation of Westward Partners, LLC in various acquisition, divestiture and corporate matters.
GSB represented the sellers of Evolution Hospitality in its sale to Aimbridge Hospitality. Aimbridge is the nation’s second largest independent hotel investment and management firm. GSB advised the sellers in all aspects of the transaction, including structure, documentation, buyer due diligence (purchase price included an equity component in buyer), and broad seller due diligence.
Assisted in the equity sale by seller stakeholders of Revenue Management Solutions (RMS) to a foreign investor group. RMS leverages premier consulting services and patented methodology in the use of statistics and quantitative modelling for the airline industry.
GSB represented Incident Catering Services in its leveraged buyout of GFP Enterprises and related entities. GFP is a nationally recognized leader in emergency response services, ranging from wild land firefighting and base camp support services to full incident management teams. The company has over 400 employees. GSB advised the buyer in all aspects of the acquisition and related debt and equity financing, including transaction structure and related tax implications, documentation for the acquisition and debt and equity financings, and due diligence.
Represented a Canadian trucking operation in its strategic purchase of Washington-based trucking affiliates, using an unorthodox structure to purchase stock (of one company) at the same time as assets (of the other). This transaction required special attention to an environmental issue that arose at the eleventh hour and threatened to terminate the deal.
Represented the owners of affiliated smoke stack testing companies in selling limited liability company membership interests to a private equity firm, helping the client negotiate and significantly improve upon the terms initially offered by the buyer.
GSB represented Physicians Anesthesia Service (PAS), the largest group of anesthesiologists serving the Seattle area, in creating a newly formed partnership with U.S. Anesthesia Partners (USAP).
Lead counsel for seller on $55 million sale of multi-vessel fishing company.
Special maritime and fisheries counsel to foreign bank on $80 million credit facility for buy-out of interests in large, integrated fishing and fish processing company.
Represented venture-backed company in connection with Series C, D, E, F and G preferred stock financings.
Represented venture capital and private equity funds in connection with preferred stock and convertible note investments.
Represented Nautilus, Inc., in connection with sale of Dash America, Inc., d/b/a Pearl Izumi, to Shimano, Inc.
Represented a national wireless company in merger review proceeding for two local exchange companies with favorable results in final regulatory order. Joint Application of Qwest Communications International, Inc. and CenturyTel, Inc. for approval of control of Qwest Corporation, Qwest Communications Company LLC, and Qwest LD Corp. (WUTC Docket No. UT-100820 (2011)).
- Represented buyer in the acquisition of a large international shipping division of a publicly traded seller
Represented buyer in the acquisition of a large international shipping division of a publicly traded seller. GSB's representation included broad due diligence (including environmental, regulatory, corporate, labor, employment, intellectual property, benefits), risk analysis, and the negotiation and drafting of all definitive documentation.
- Represented large privately held natural resources company in the merger of a forest products subsidiary with a primary competitor
Represented large privately held natural resources company in the merger of a forest products subsidiary with a primary competitor. Negotiated and drafted all legal documentation, including letter of intent, contribution agreements and operating agreement for the surviving entity. Assisted with real property transfers and related matters, including environmental review and title policies. Also assisted with senior secured credit facility for the surviving company.
- Represented nationwide transportation and logistics company in connection with the simultaneous refinance of its syndicated secured bank credit facility and the private placement of senior secured notes to institutional investors
Represented nationwide transportation and logistics company in connection with the simultaneous refinance of its syndicated secured bank credit facility and the private placement of senior secured notes to institutional investors. Negotiated and coordinated all aspects of the transactions on behalf of the borrower, including definitive documentation, due diligence, legal opinions, and corporate matters with respect to the borrower and approximately 20 guarantor entities.
- Represented private equity buyer in connection with the leveraged buyout of a government services contractor
Represented private equity buyer in connection with the leveraged buyout of a government services contractor. GSB assisted with all aspects of the transaction, including the equity acquisition of the target, the securities offering for fund investors, and the simultaneous senior secured credit facility used to fund the acquisition.
- Represented private equity buyer in connection with the leveraged buyout of a heavy equipment owner/operator in the States of Washington and Oregon
Represented private equity buyer in connection with the leveraged buyout of a heavy equipment owner/operator in the States of Washington and Oregon. GSB handled both the equity acquisition from the former owners as well as the simultaneous senior secured credit facility used to fund the acquisition.
Ongoing representation of Saltchuk Resources, Inc. in various acquisition, divestiture and corporate matters.
Represented North Star Petroleum in its acquisitions of several petroleum distribution companies, including Delta Western and Maui Petroleum.
Represented Kibble & Prentice Holding Company and parent company USI in several insurance brokerage acquisitions.
Represented Leader Creek Fisheries in its asset sale to the Canadian Fishing Company (Canfisco).
Represented Glacier Fish Company in various acquisitions and asset sales.
Represented LaCrosse Footwear, Inc. in connection with its acquisition by a private buyer via friendly tender offer.
Represented InFocus Corporation in its acquisition by a private buyer via friendly tender offer.
Represented Nautilus, Inc. in the divestiture of its Pearl iZumi apparel division to Shimano Corporation.
Represented a Canadian-listed manufacturer in the acquisition of two U.S. firms for consideration consisting partially of income trust units.
Represented ManageIQ, Inc., a provider of enterprise cloud and virtual infrastructure management solutions, in its $105 million acquisition by Red Hat, Inc.
Represented V2Green, Inc., a grid management software provider focused on integration of electric vehicles, in its acquisition by Gridpoint, Inc.
Represented Kenwood Corporation, of Japan, in its acquisition of Zetron, Inc.
Represented a Canadian sports and entertainment firm in acquisitions of several minor-league sports franchises in the U.S.
Represented a medical equipment services firm in its sale by merger to a national healthcare facilities services provider.
Counsel to Spiration, Inc. in its sale of Convertible Notes to a Japanese strategic partner.
- Assisted Private Equity Buyer in connection with the leveraged buyout of an emergency response and catering services company
Assisted private equity buyer in connection with the leveraged buyout of an emergency response and catering services company. GSB handled both the equity acquisition and the simultaneous equity financing and secured credit facilities used to fund the acquisition.
News & Events
- GSB Newsroom, 1.2.19
- GSB Recognized on U.S. News – Best Lawyers® 'Best Law Firms' 2019 List; Earns Rankings in 40 Practice CategoriesGSB Newsroom, 11.1.18
- GSB Newsroom, 9.10.18
- 28 GSB Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 List; Two Portland Lawyers Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’GSB Newsroom, 8.15.18
- GSB Newsroom, 5.3.18
- GSB Newsroom, 4.18.18
- GSB Newsroom, 11.1.17
- 30 GSB Attorneys Named to the 2018 The Best Lawyers in America® List; Three Lawyers Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’GSB Newsroom, 8.15.17
- GSB Newsroom, 7.11.17
- Portland Business Journal (subscription required), 4.20.17
- Law360 (subscription required), 2.10.17
- GSB Represents Physicians Anesthesia Service in Its Newly Formed Partnership With U.S. Anesthesia PartnersGSB Newsroom, 2.9.17
- GSB Serves as Special Government Contract Counsel to Salient CRGT for Its Recent Acquisition of Information Innovators, Inc.GSB Newsroom, 2.9.17
- GSB Press Release, 9.6.16
- Hal Snow Discusses with Puget Sound Business Journal on the Surprises and Growth of the Marijuana IndustryPuget Sound Business Journal, 2.12.16
- GSB Press Release, 2.1.16
- Erwin Krasnow Debunks Broadcast Station Acquisition Myths in the Radio and Television Business ReportRadio and Television Business Report, 11.12.15
- Garvey Schubert Barer Attorney Sara P. Sandford Named Chair-Elect of the American Bar Association Section of International LawGSB Press Release, 9.15.15
- Garvey Schubert Barer Attorney Sara P. Sandford Named Vice Chair of the American Bar Association Section of International LawGSB Press Release, 8.22.14
- GSB Press Release, 7.30.14
- GSB Press Release, 2.11.11
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 6.7.17
- "Structuring and Protecting Business Investments in the United States," (for Asian investors), Globalaw Annual Members Meeting 2018Panel discussionDallas, TX, 10.24-27, 2018
- Panel discussionPortland, OR, 9.27.18
- “Dean's Student Circle - Leadership Presentation,” Portland State University, School of Business AdministrationSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 1.19.18
- Investment Seminars in ChinaBeijing / Fuzhou / Shenzhen, China, 5.22.17 | 5.24.17 | 5.26.17
- "Anatomy of an M&A Deal - Session One: Legal Regimes, Deal Structures and General Legal Considerations," ABA Section of International Law, International M&A and Joint Venture CommitteeSpeaking EngagementTeleconference, Seattle, WA, 6.19.12
- "International Mergers and Acquisitions: Key Stages in the Deal Process," 2011 TEI/UW International Tax ForumSpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 9.7.11
- “Negotiating an M&A Deal,” School of the University “LUISS”Speaking EngagementRome, Italy, 11.8.10
- Portland Business Journal, 9.21.18
- Portland Business Journal, 4.6.18
- The Financial Manager, January/February 2017
- Radio and Television Business Report, 3.29.16
- Radio and Television Business Report, 2.16.16
- Of Counsel
- Law Clerk