- What We Do
- Government and Regulatory
Governments and governmental bodies face many of the same legal issues — environment, land use and employment, for example — as the private sector. Yet they also face challenges unique to their public function, such as managing projects with other government agencies, harmonizing conflicting regulatory policies and advancing the public interest as elected leadership changes.
For many years, we have represented governments and governmental entities at the federal, state and local levels. We also represent foreign governments and quasi-governmental bodies like ports and public utilities. Examples of our experience include representing the following:
- Municipal entities on solid waste disposal issues under federal law
- Canadian government and Canadian provinces on transboundary pollution
- County governments on development and funding of infrastructure projects
- Japanese government on U.S. trade policy
- FDIC in litigation arising out of failed financial institutions
- Ports and public utilities on land use and land transfers
Many of our lawyers have served in government. So we know how government works, and we understand budget requirements, ethics rules and the need for effective communications strategies. In short, because Garvey Schubert Barer knows this sector, we capably and cost-effectively represent governmental clients at every level, from local special purpose bodies to foreign countries.
Represented Chapter 11 Debtor with $232 million in claims to reorganize business in highly regulated environment; Chapter 11 plan confirmed; obtained preliminary injunction after contested hearing against 35 state governments prohibiting them from removing debtor from state directories of authorized tobacco product sellers.
- Obtained partial summary judgment against the Seattle Police Department for public records act violations
Obtained partial summary judgment against the Seattle Police Department for public records act violations regarding requests for the database of dash-cam videos and the videos. KOMO v. SPD, King County SuperiorCourt (2012), appeal pending at the Washington Supreme Court (2013)
- Represented the first cellular company in Washington (and nationwide) to achieve eligible telecommunications status
Represented the first cellular company in Washington (and nationwide) to achieve eligible telecommunications status ("ETC"), which entitles the holder to eligibility for federal universal service funds, by obtaining an order from the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission (WUTC). Its decision was affirmed by the Washington Court of Appeals and the Washington Supreme Court. WITA v. WUTC, 149 Wn. 2d 17, 65 P. 3d 319 (2003).
Helped draft Washington statutes regarding municipal regulation of telecommunications companies, cw. ch. 35-99 (2000).
Represented a national wireless company to obtain eligible telecommunications status in Oregon. (Docket No. UM-1522 (2011).
- Successfully assisted client claiming paintings from Dutch government that were seized by Nazis during WWII
Successfully assisted client claiming paintings from Dutch government that were seized by Nazis during WWII; represented heir of prominent German photographer in trans-national cultural estate matter recovering vintage photographs and compensation; represented antiquities dealers in CCPIA proceedings before U.S. State Department.
- Assisted U.S. satellite manufacturer in criminal and Congressional investigations arising out of China launch failure investigation
Assisted U.S. satellite manufacturer in criminal and Congressional investigations arising out of China launch failure investigation (export control/ITAR issues).
Advised numerous U.S. and foreign clients on investment in U.S. defense and aerospace companies (Exon-florio and FOCI issues).
Served on Board of Directors of Japanese –owned aerospace company operating under special FOCI controls.
Expert testimony on FSIA expropriation exception in Mezerhane v. Republica Bolivariana de Venezuela (S.D. Florida 2013).
Established the treaty exception to the federal act of state doctrine in Kalamazoo Spice Extraction Co. v The Provisional Military Government of Socialist Ethiopia, 729 F. 2d 22 (6Cir. 1984).
Provided expert testimony for oil service companies in tax court proceedings relating to Iran Hostage Crisis.
Represented South African energy company in State Department administrative proceedings implementing trade restrictions under the Anti-Apartheid Act.
- Represented several DoD transportation service providers in a pre-award bid protest before the U.S. Federal Court of Claims
Represented several DoD transportation service providers in a pre-award bid protest before the U.S. Federal Court of Claims in BINL, Inc. v. United States, No. 12-71-C ( U.S. Court of Claims, decided June 19, 2012).
Represented group of 17-year-old voters, who would be 18 at the time of the general election, in lawsuit to enjoin repeal of their right to vote in related primary contests.
- Supported a marine construction contractor in negotiating an equitable adjustment claim with a state department of transportation
Successfully supported a marine construction contractor in negotiating an equitable adjustment claim with a state department of transportation, resulting in recovery of nearly $1 million of costs incurred because of agency-caused delays.
Assisted Foss Maritime to provide the U.S. military with emergency equipment in response to Hurricane Sandy.
Protected the Quileute Indian Tribe (featured in the "Twilight" movie series) from tsunami threat by obtaining higher-elevation federal land for Tribal housing.
Counseled U.S. ports and cities on obtaining federal funds for infrastructure modernization projects compliant with Corps of Engineers and EPA regulations.
Negotiated laboratory research contracts to help protect the U.S. from biological and chemical attack (Project BioShield).
Advised foreign governments on how to obtain compensation from the U.S. military for improper disposal of hazardous wastes abroad.
Assisted a healthcare clinic at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation to defend itself successfully in an Inspector General investigation.
Testified before the U.S. Congress to support immediate investigation and remediation of buried chemical weapons in Washington, D.C.
Made voluntary disclosures to federal agencies of clients' potential noncompliance with government contract and grant rules.
Drafted and helped to pass a precedent-setting federal law to transfer a federally-operated water reservoir to municipal control.
Counseled public and private clients on compliance with federal ethics and lobbying rules.
News & Events
- Current, 3.18.19
- Sarah Carlin Ames Appeared on KGW ‘Straight Talk’ to Discuss the City Club’s Recommendations to Make Portland’s City Government More EquitableKGW, 3.16.19
- Sarah Carlin Ames Featured on OPB’s ‘Think Out Loud’ to Discuss City Club Research Report on Portland’s Commission Form of GovernmentOregon Public Broadcasting (OPB), 2.11.19
- BEA Thought Leadership Series (BEATLS), 1.7.19
- Communications Daily, 12.31.18
- GSB Recognized on U.S. News – Best Lawyers® 'Best Law Firms' 2019 List; Earns Rankings in 40 Practice CategoriesGSB Newsroom, 11.1.18
- RAB Radio Matters Blog, 10.31.18
- InsideRadio, 9.19.18
- Law360, 11.8.17
- GSB Newsroom, 11.1.17
- 30 GSB Attorneys Named to the 2018 The Best Lawyers in America® List; Three Lawyers Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’GSB Newsroom, 8.15.17
- GSB Newsroom, 5.1.17
- APTS Action, Inc. Government Relations Update, 2.17.17
- Law360 (subscription required), 2.10.17
- GSB Serves as Special Government Contract Counsel to Salient CRGT for Its Recent Acquisition of Information Innovators, Inc.GSB Newsroom, 2.9.17
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 1.4.18
- Speaking EngagementLas Vegas, NV, 4.5.19
- Panel DiscussionSan Diego, CA, 6.19.19-6.21.19
- Panel DiscussionSan Diego, CA, 6.19.19-6.21.19
- "Legal Updates (a/k/a 'Larry and Brad's Stuff')," 2019 NETA Conference & CPB Public Media Thought Leader ForumSpeaking EngagementSalt Lake City, UT, 1.23.19
- Panel PresentationWashington, D.C., 6.8.18
- RAB Radio Matters Blog, 1.28.19
- RAB Radio Matters Blog, 9.17.18
- RAB Radio Matters Blog, 8.27.18
- Office Managing Director and Principal
- Of Counsel