White Collar and Government Investigations
The attorneys in GSB’s white collar practice group represent business entities and individuals confronting high-stakes government investigations and other criminal and administrative matters. Our clients have included business organizations, leading public figures and government officials, corporate officers and directors, and professional athletes.
We have provided assistance in all manner of federal and state investigations, including healthcare fraud and False Claims Act allegations, international trade and investigations under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, government contracts and procurement claims, allegations concerning environmental, antitrust, and securities law violations, internal investigations of potential irregularities, and other regulatory inquiries.
Our group includes several former senior federal officials and prosecutors with substantial trial and white collar experience, whose deep understanding of law enforcement perspectives and methods helps us secure superior results in even the most challenging white collar representations.
Prior Successful Representations
We achieve our greatest success when we help clients avert charges or other public assertions of wrongdoing. By working closely with our clients to gain a comprehensive understanding of the business and the facts and circumstances of each matter we have often persuaded investigators and prosecutors to forego additional inquiry or public charges.
But when aggressive representation becomes necessary, we have successfully resolved high-stakes matters across virtually all industries and range of legal services. We have helped clients respond to subpoenas and search warrants, achieved global settlements of parallel administrative and civil and criminal liabilities, conducted internal investigations for boards of directors and other corporate committees, and designed and implemented compliance programs to mitigate enforcement risks while furthering the client’s business objectives. We excel at trial and have obtained defense verdicts from juries in federal and state court.
Media and Crisis Management
It is not enough to master the relevant legal and factual issues when representing clients in white collar matters. High-profile government inquiries often trigger intense media scrutiny and public interest that can drive both legal and business outcomes. Our lawyers understand these sensitivities and have skillfully engaged the media and public messaging to advance our clients’ positions and protect against reputational harms in prior representations.
Broad Geographical Reach
Working from strategic locations throughout the Pacific Northwest and in New York City and the District of Columbia, our white collar defense and investigations lawyers serve clients across the country and in matters of international scope. In addition to its broad domestic reach, GSB is one of only 11 U.S. law firms that the Chinese government officially recommends for legal representations involving Chinese entities. In 1979, Stan Barer, one of the firm’s founding partners, assisted in negotiations to resume shipping relations between the U.S. and the People’s Republic of China following a 30-year hiatus. In 2005, GSB became one of the first law firms to obtain a license from the Chinese government to open a representative office in Beijing, China. Serving in the role of leader of the practice group is Robert C. Weaver, Jr., former Chief of the Criminal Division for the United States Attorneys’ Office in Oregon.
Full Service, Interdisciplinary Approach
White collar matters also affect business considerations central to the client’s financial health and long-term business objectives. GSB’s white collar practice group therefore works in tandem with the firm’s business and transactional lawyers to deliver comprehensive, interdisciplinary solutions attuned to each client’s particular circumstances.
Representing a senior corporate executive of Fortune 50 automobile manufacturer in parallel international, DOJ, and U.S. regulatory investigations.
- Representation of client in Robert Mueller’s Russia probe and related trial involving ex-Trump campaign manager
Representing client in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election and in the related trial of Paul Manafort on bank fraud and tax charges.
Represented and advised U.S. company operating in high-risk African country in connection with Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance and enforcement issues.
Currently representing senior officer of Fortune 50 company against parallel civil, criminal, and administrative investigations by U.S. Department of Justice and agency OIG alleging violations of FCA and federal procurement laws.
Currently representing moving and logistics company in connection with U.S. Department of Justice investigation into alleged FCA violations.
Represented international supplier in export compliance matters involving trade under the Cuba sanctions programs of the Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC) and the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS).
Representing individual in FBI and OIG investigation of alleged federal bribery and obstruction of justice.
Represented company in connection with federal grand jury subpoena for records issued by U.S. Attorney’s Office in FBI public corruption investigation.
Currently representing Fortune 500 asset management company in connection with FBI and DOJ public corruption investigation.
Defended multiple freight transportation companies against federal enforcement actions involving the movement of hazardous materials in interstate commerce.
Conducted internal review and persuaded Office of Inspector General (OIG) to decline to further investigate or prosecute international NGO in connection with alleged bribery scheme involving company employee in Afghanistan.
Conducted internal investigation and defending against OIG and agency procurement investigations of alleged False Claims Act (FCA) violations.
U.S. District Court, Portland, Oregon
Successfully represented Certified Public Accountant charged in $200 million tax shelter scheme.
U.S. District Court, Portland, Oregon
Obtained a defense jury verdict on behalf of client accused of insider trading in violation of federal securities laws.
U.S. District Court, Portland, Oregon
Obtained dismissal of civil complaint alleging RICO, fraud and franchise law violations; and obtained an award of attorney’s fees to Tony Robbins.
Conducted internal corporate investigations for publicly traded multi-national companies accused of violations of federal securities laws, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the False Claims Act, and mail fraud.
News & Events
- KOIN, 6.27.19
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Associated Press About False Statements Made By Ex-Trump Advisors Regarding Russian ContactsThe Associated Press, 12.1.18
- GSB Recognized on U.S. News – Best Lawyers® 'Best Law Firms' 2019 List; Earns Rankings in 40 Practice CategoriesGSB Newsroom, 11.1.18
- Newsy, 9.24.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Associated Press About Implications of Cohen Plea Agreement for President TrumpThe Associated Press, 8.22.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Associated Press About President Trump's Alleged Wrongdoing Stemming from Cohen PleaThe Associated Press, 8.22.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The New York Times on the 'Colorful' Events and Recent Allegations Involving President TrumpThe New York Times, 8.22.18
- Dan Petalas Featured in Newsy Video Interview to Discuss President Trump's Mounting Legal Troubles Resulting from Cohen Guilty PleaNewsy, 8.22.18
- 28 GSB Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 List; Two Portland Lawyers Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’GSB Newsroom, 8.15.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted by the Associated Press About Secret Audio Recording of President Trump and His Former LawyerAssociated Press, 7.26.18
- GSB Newsroom, 7.24.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Washington Post About SCOTUS Nominee Kavanaugh's Decision Involving Role of Foreign Nationals in U.S. ElectionsThe Washington Post, 7.20.18
- Reliving the ‘Wild’ Times of Rajneeshpuram: Bob Weaver Recounts Rajneesh Cult Takedown as Featured Guest on Law360's Pro Say PodcastGSB Newsroom, 5.5.18
- GSB Newsroom, 5.3.18
- The Oregonian, 4.22.18
- The Associated Press, 4.5.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Center for Public Integrity on Likelihood of FEC Investigation Into President Trump's Payment to Adult-Film ActressThe Center for Public Integrity, 3.30.18
- Garvey Schubert Barer Launches New Practice to Help Companies Prevent and Respond to Workplace Misconduct IssuesGSB Newsroom, 3.13.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted by The Associated Press About Issues in Corruption Case Against Former U.S. CongressmanThe Associated Press, 2.28.18
- Dan Petalas Interviewed on CBS KNX 1070 to Discuss Significance of Rick Gates' Plea to Special Counsel’s Investigation into Russian Influence in 2016 Presidential ElectionCBS KNX 1070 NEWSRADIO, 2.23.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Center for Public Integrity and Salon on Investigation Into PAC's Solicitation and Spending PracticesThe Center for Public Integrity / Salon, 2.12.18
- The New York Times, 2.4.18
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Associated Press About DOJ Decision to Retry Sen. Robert Menendez and Salomon MelgenThe Associated Press, 1.19.18
- GSB Newsroom, 11.1.17
- The Toronto Star, 10.30.17
- Dan Petalas Quoted in The Center for Public Integrity on Political Committees' Non-Compliance in Paying FEC FinesThe Center for Public Integrity, 10.30.17
- GSB Newsroom, 8.31.17
- 30 GSB Attorneys Named to the 2018 The Best Lawyers in America® List; Three Lawyers Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’GSB Newsroom, 8.15.17
- GSB Newsroom, 7.11.17
- The Toronto Star, 6.13.17
- Garvey Schubert Barer Ranked Among Leading U.S. Firms in Chambers USA 2017 Guide; Four Practices and 12 Lawyers FeaturedGSB Newsroom, 5.26.17
- Portland Business Journal (subscription required), 2.10.17
- GSB Newsroom, 1.3.17
- GSB Press Release, 9.6.16
- GSB Newsroom, 2.15.12
- GSB Press Release, 9.6.11
- The Oregonian, 5.26.11
- Garvey Schubert Barer Owner David Smith Appointed Co-Chair of Federal Bar Association Criminal Law SectionGSB Press Release, 2.9.11
- Cross Border Business Law Blog, 1.26.17
- Panel DiscussionPortland, OR, 6.27.19
- Speaking EngagementPortland, OR, 4.26.19
- "Rancho Rajneesh—Legal Battles in Wild Country’s 'Utopia'," 26th Annual Litigation Institute & Retreat - Oregon State BarPanel DiscussionStevenson, WA, 3.1.19
- "The Clouds of Oregon’s Blue Sky Law: Securities Liability Risks for Transactional Lawyers," Oregon State Bar Securities Regulation Section MeetingSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 12.19.18
- Speaking EngagementPortland, OR, 11.2.18
- "An Inside Look at the Case Behind 'Wild Wild Country' – the Takedown of the Rajneeshpuram," inFusion '18 presented by ExterroSpeaking EngagementPortland, OR, 10.17.18
- "Rajneeshpuram: Legal Legacy & Lessons," 2018 O’Connell Conference, University of Oregon School of LawPanel DiscussionEugene, OR, 9.7.18
- Speaking EngagementStevenson, WA, 3.16.18
- SeminarGarvey Schubert Barer, Portland, OR, 4.26.12
- "Conflicts Between Duty to Report and Agency Access to Internal Investigations," Federal Administrative Law Seminar, Washington State Bar Association Administrative Law Section CLESpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 9.15.11
- "Avoiding the Ethical Pitfalls of Internal Investigations: How to Protect Your Client and Yourself," The Criminal Law and Business Law Sections of the OSBSeminarMultnomah Athletic Club, Portland, OR, 2.17.11
- "Optimizing the Use of Outside Counsel for Litigation, Investigations and Regulatory Enforcement Proceedings with a Focus on the Fallout from the Ongoing Credit Market Crisis," Greater New York Chapter of the Association of Corporate CounselSeminarThe Cornell Club, New York, NY, 7.28.09
- inBrief (Oregon State Bar - Professional Liability Fund), June 2019
- Puget Sound Business Journal, 2.16.18
- Presentation Outline: "Securities Liability for Transactional Lawyers Under Oregon’s Expansive Blue Sky Law," Oregon State Bar Securities Regulation Section EventGSB Newsroom, 12.20.17
- GSB Newsroom, 6.17
- State Tax Notes, 7.25.16
- Commonweal, 10.6.06
- Of Counsel