Emily Harris Gant is a Principal in the Hospitality, Travel and Tourism Group, where she works as an alcoholic beverage attorney. She counsels wineries, breweries, distilleries, restaurants, hotels and other retailers on liquor licensing, trade practice compliance, distribution issues, contracts, dispute resolution and other liquor-related matters.
Emily is also the Co-Chair of the Cannabis Industry Group, where she advises licensed producers, processors and retailers, along with those hoping to join the industry. Like alcohol, cannabis is a highly regulated industry. Emily helps clients structure their business entities, contracts and strategic partnerships to ensure compliance with Washington’s complex regulatory scheme.
An Oregon native, Emily graduated with honors in History from Whitman College. She then taught second grade in the Mississippi Delta with the Teach for America program.
Emily received her law degree from the University of Washington School of Law. After law school, she served as a law clerk to the Honorable Elaine M. Houghton of the Washington State Court of Appeals, Division II.
Emily lives in Ballard with her husband, two daughters and two pugs.
- Lecturer, University of Washington School of Law, "Special Topics: Hospitality Law"
- Board Member, Mother Attorneys Mentoring Association of Seattle
- Washington Women Lawyers
- King County Bar Association
- Past Board Member, Future of the Law Institute
- Past Editor, Washington Lawyers Practice Manual
- Chairman’s Committee, Auction of Washington Wines
- Past Wine Committee Member, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Cannabis Business Blog, 5.17.17
- Cannabis Business Blog, 5.11.17
- Cannabis Business Blog, 5.1.17
- Cannabis Business Blog, 10.28.16
- Cannabis Business Blog, 6.8.16
- Washington State Bar Association's CLE Seminar - "Marijuana Law: Changes in Regulation and Best Practices"Cannabis Business Blog, 4.8.16
- Cannabis Business Blog, 1.28.16
- Cannabis Business Blog, 1.20.16
- Cannabis Business Blog, 1.20.16
- Duff on Hospitality Law, 9.17.15
News & Insights
- Travel Weekly, 1.7.18
- GSB Newsroom, 7.11.17
- GSB Newsroom, 3.15.17
- GSB Press Release, 7.11.16
- SponsorshipSeattle, WA, 5.15.18
- “Weed Tourism: What to Know Before Holding Cannabis Functions at Your Premises,” HLC Series 2.0 – Houston (The Hospitality Law Conference)Speaking EngagementHouston, TX, 4.12.18
- "Hot Topics in Cannabis Law: What You Need to Know About the Federal Government and Washington State," Cannabis Investment NetworkSpeaking engagementSeattle, WA, 3.28.18
- Cannabis Business SeminarPortland, OR, 5.18.17
- "Marijuana: The Legalized 'Green Rush' Impacting Insurers and Professionals," Professional Liability Underwriting SocietySpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 10.20.16
- "Cannabis Business 101," NORML Legal SeminarSpeaking EngagementAspen, CO, 6.4.16
- "Liquor Licensing + Food and Beverage Law," University of Washington School of Law Hospitality and Travel Law Symposium 2016Speaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 4.15.16
- SeminarSeattle, WA, 4.12.16
- "R9 Town Hall on Hotels," Pacific Hospitality Development LLCSpeaking EngagementSeattle, WA, 3.8.16
- Washington, 2004
- Oregon, 2014
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 2010
University of Washington School of Law, J.D., 2004
Whitman College, B.A., Honors in History, cum laude, 1999
Honors | Recognitions
- Named by peers as one of Washington's "Rising Stars" in Super Lawyers, 2010 and 2016-2017
- Named by peers as a Rising Star by Washington Law & Politics Magazine